Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My next tire?

Re: My next tire?

*As for the AT3 vs. ST Maxx, I'd honestly go with the ST's simply b/c of the tread design. I've never been comfortable using a "street AT" type of tread. I'll happily sacrifice the 1-2mpg to run the TA/KO's I got now.

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    *As for the AT3 vs. ST Maxx, I'd honestly go with the ST's simply b/c of the tread design. I've never been comfortable using a "street AT" type of tread. I'll happily sacrifice the 1-2mpg to run the TA/KO's I got now.
    Thats not always true.. the Falken Wild Peak tires I have right now could be considered more street based on the tread pattern, but the reviews i read all stated that they clear mud better than most of the other AT's in their test (which included the notoriously bad in mud AT/KOs). And they have had excellent grip everywhere I have tested them, and kept grip in 2wd in many places I thought I was going to have to switch to 4wd out in Mojave.

That said, If I had had the money at the time and my taco wasnt my current DD, I might be running something closer to the ST's in the OP. I like the aggressive tires better than ATs any day for a trail only rig
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    Thats not always true.. the Falken Wild Peak tires I have right now could be considered more street based on the tread pattern, but the reviews i read all stated that they clear mud better than most of the other AT's in their test (which included the notoriously bad in mud AT/KOs). And they have had excellent grip everywhere I have tested them, and kept grip in 2wd in many places I thought I was going to have to switch to 4wd out in Mojave.
    I'll give you your personal experience to reinforce your view, but just as you said about my feedback, the same can be said about a tire's ability to shed mud. I respectfully submit this to you.

Having worked in two different industries where tire handling characteristics are a key item, professional mountain bike racing and baja/etc, I can say that basing too much emphasis on reviews rather than actual experience is a bad thing.

Mud, just as loam, hardpack, light over hardpack, duff, moon dust, pea gravel/rubble, and sand all differ in characteristics from one region to the next. Heck, they can even differ from one hour to the next, Pismo sand being a perfect example of this.

Ultimately it all boils down to personal driving habits interacting with the driver's and vehicle's needs for a given situation.

Sorry for the off-topic. We should consider this subject matter for a tech article? I got ton's of info still floating around my gray matter from my time running tech support, the info is too much to put into a short reply here.

Back on topic, consider trying the tires out, if you buy through some places like I recently did with my last set you can always pay a little difference if you decide the tires are not meeting your needs. Even asking around locally as to who has a rig setup like yours and running them works, do a meet and greet and see if someone's willing to let you play with their rig on a section of trail or just watch how they work.

One would think in such rough economic times that tire manufacturers would make the tires a little more wallet-friendly. I think the decision to make only load range E tires is a poor one. The step up to an even heavier and stiffer tire (and more expensive) does not excite me. I wish BFG made a load range C, 275/75R16...right inbetween a 265/75 and a 285/75 in both height and width. :sadface

Navigator

Shane - I wasn't trying to say reviews are 100% correct, I just had to cite it because I only have dry experience with these tires thus far. Come December I will get snow/mud/wet/etc experience on a trip with my gf's family. Dry performance is better than expected given this tire's low price point (I paid ~$900 for 5 31" mounted and balanced, more than $200 less than BFG or GoodYear offerings)

If your wish is cheap but good tires, BFG (or any of the big names) are all going to be expensive. To me, it seems like simplifying the production into one load range instead of 2 or 3 should make their system cheaper, thus the tires cheaper... But I know that's wishful thinking knowing how businesses like that operate. Tires in general are rising in price in part because of high crude oil prices.
    - Kevin

Shane - I wasn't trying to say reviews are 100% correct, I just had to cite it because I only have dry experience with these tires thus far. Come December I will get snow/mud/wet/etc experience on a trip with my gf's family. Dry performance is better than expected given this tire's...
    Agreed, we're all good, I was just playing Devil's Pawn is all. Trust me, I'm aware of tire prices, 4 sets between the Runner's new shoes and the other biz rig stuff.

I honestly hope he tries the coopers out, I know a couple guys up in the Sierra Foothills that could use them, but we need rain and snow first.

Honestly, I would love to try em out.. just out of my simple wanting of an aggressive A/T. Unfortunately, I am a web wheeler. I DD my 4Runner 70 miles a day now during the week. So, and aggressive A/T would be for mall crawling purposes. They really look good on our 4Runners. As I said though.. I never get to wheel my 4Runner anymore. I want to though.

I just want to keep a good A/T with the hopes of getting to offroad some eventually, and have a good tire for the good 'ol Minnesota winters. It's always fun to go riding around when we get over a foot of snow dumped on us. Cooper AT3's are on my short list... Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors... Bridgestone Dueler REVO 2's... Falken Wildpeaks actually look pretty interesting as well.

I've been looking at the new Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Navigator

The Wild Peaks are what I have, and they have been awesome so far.. cheaper than the rest of those too
    - Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    I've been looking at the new Goodyear Wrangler Authority A/T
    Well those aren't exactly new new.. they have been out for about 3 1/2 years or so. :P I've read a lot of good stuff about them too.. seems to be a good choice. Prices someone posted circa June'ish 09 had them at $165/tire for 265/75r16 load range E.. $5 cheaper for C. Assuming that's mounted and balanced, and hazard protection. On the surface $165 isn't the greatest price, but the other perks are nice.

The Wild Peaks are what I have, and they have been awesome so far.. cheaper than the rest of those too
    I want to do some more reading on these and see how they do in snow/slush. Looks like a good tire.. not as aggressive as the Authority that's for sure, but still nice AT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast