Thread: Tacomas targeted in Santa Barbara, CA

Navigator

Tacomas targeted in Santa Barbara, CA

http://www.ksby.com/news/santa-barba...tacoma-thefts/
    http://www.independent.com/news/2012...acomas-danger/

Is there any validity to this statement? Is there actually a "Master Key" for Tacomas?
    A press released issued by the SBPD said owners should try to park in a garage, use a steering wheel lock, or utilize an alarm. "The suspects in these thefts may possess a master key allowing entry into and starting of any Toyota Tacoma"
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Re: Tacomas targeted in Santa Barbara, CA

This is news to me, never heard of a master key, when he have a key locked in a car we use the vin to cut a new one, but we do not have a master key.

I wonder if these stolen Taco's are being stolen by a guy that works at a dealer...

I wonder what year Tacoma's they are too, because I believe most 05+ Taco's have immobilizer keys and there def can be no master for that

Up until 04 most toyota trucks still used plain jane cut keys. You know what your doing you can pick the ignition rather easy.

As for breaking into a tacoma, 4runner or tundra-SUPER easy. You only need a small wedge of some kind to proper the door open and a rod bent to grab the lock tab. I can be in an older toyota in seconds b/c of practice from work.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Navigator

Yea I didn't think there was such a thing as a master key, but I also know they aren't hard to break into/steal..

So if anyone comes through the Santa Barbara area make sure you secure your truck!
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock