Thread: Stupid Starter

Stupid Starter

I knew it was going for awhile, so by chance while on ebay one day found a listing for a new rebuilt starter (by a generator shop not some cheapo auto parts store junk) starter. I bought it for 30 bucks.

Over the last few months I get CLICK CLICK and cranks over, finally today it didnt want to start but finally caught. Come home, try and remove old starter. HOLY HELL, my exhaust is right next to the starter and so is a stupid bracket that I couldnt remove (bolt was rusted on and I was sure the exhaust would rattle as its a support).

Anyways after fighting for eons I finally got it off-only to discover-I HAVE THE WRONG STARTER, perhaps from a 4cyl truck! Gears to short, whole housing is smaller. No way its gonna fit. I put the contacts in my starter and finally got it all back together after 4 hours of fun. Im cutting that bracket off next time.

Anyone want a starter? Think its for a 4cyl pickup, tacoma, 4runner. Ill sell it real cheap, you just gotta put contacts in it for like 10 bucks.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Navigator

Re: Stupid Starter

My starter still starts strong, so not me. Should be able to sell it fairly easy though.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Even now mine cranks a few times before catching but nothing major. Was doing the same thing but would get click only every so often. Contacts were worn alot.

Changing the starter is much easier with a solid axle swap!
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Keep it, they make great paperweights?

Funny guys.

I need a waggy axle to do the SAS, 84 toyota axles to narrow by ALOT. Spose I could use a LC axle maybe IDK.

Ok anyone want the starter? I looked up the P/N and its for a 96-02 4Runner, poss Taco (not sure pn goes to 4runner only). 3.4L V6. Its a 1.4kw starter. PN 28100-62050. Just needs contacts, this sucker lists for over 200 bucks at the stealership guys. Make me an offer as I cant use it. Otherwise Im buying contacts and putting it on ebay or something.