Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tail pipe mod

tail pipe mod

i have already trimmed the mud flap part of my fender flares to gain that clearance in the rear. ive been thinking of cutting my tail pipe back about a 1-1.5 ft in order to gain clearance.i have already hit the exit a little and dont want to damage/bend farther upstream. ill probably make a new hanger to stabilize it since the old hanger will be cut off. but my question is has anyone done this mod and noticed a difference with exhaust fumes entering through the back window. any info would be great thanks.
    1998 4runner SAS<br />1997 Volvo 850<br /><br />www.toyotacrawlers.com

Re: tail pipe mod

There are a lot of people who are positive that cutting off the tail pipe will result in in the cab fumes/gases. I am not sure but still am unwilling to take that chance with myself or my family. Long day, very tired carbon monoxide slowly puts you to sleep and then bang....lights out. Just not a gambling man.

THe theory is sound that it could cause a problem.

As for side exit pipe fumes coming in the rear window, I have never had a problem with it at all. Maybe if it was a rear exit pipe it could be an issue.

What I did with mine when I had a muffler installed was to have the new tailpipe exit really tight up to the bottom of the bumper and as close to the rear tire as I could. I used to crush it all the time but have not hit is since.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

This is the trimming that I did to my stock exhaust. To get it this high up I put the welded on pipe hook through the top of the rubber hanger thing flipped up side down. This was after the 1" body lift though.

Cannot see it really well in this pic but this is the custom pipe location. With it this high and close to the rear tire, if I hit it the bumper is toast also.
    ________________________________<br />Eric<br /><br />2006 Tundra D-Cab V8<br /><br />&quot;All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing&quot;

I ran my truck for a week without a tail pipe after a recent wheeling trip. During that time I did notice an increase in exhaust fumes in the cabin. I could not roll down the rear window without a significant exhaust smell.

IMO I think the tail pipe has to exit beyond the passenger area, on a 4Runner that's the stock location or beyond. On a pick-up you can get away with a down turn after the muffler since it's beyond the passenger area.
    &#039;00 SR5, &quot;Highlander&quot; <br />Dual Cases, Aisin Hubs, E-Lock&#039;d, Cryo&#039;d, Chromo&#039;d, ARB&#039;d, 315&#039;s, Sonoran Steel Bumper, Lift &amp; UCA&#039;s, 4 Crawl 1&quot; BL, Armored...etc.<br /><br />F-Toy #081 in progress<br />Dual Cases, 30 Splines, 5.71&#039;s, E-lockers, Hydro-Assist, 37&#039;s, DOM Hendrix Chassis, 80Proof, ORS, Sonoran Steel...etc.

i have mine cut back to just behind the rear axle which is a relief because mine was getting mashed.

i have only noticed smelled exhaust 1 time, windows all down and the wind just right

it has been beautiful here the last few days so ive been driving with the windows down (incl the rear one) and have been in traffic a bunch -- its been no big deal.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

great thanks for the quick reply. im glad i didnt cut it the other day . maybe ill wait till i get the 1"bl to tuck it closer. my friend has a bender so maybe we could just bend a new peice that will really hug the rear tire. i love having the rear window down so any fumes coming in are out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by lee
    i have mine cut back to just behind the rear axle which is a relief because mine was getting mashed.

i have only noticed smelled exhaust 1 time, windows all down and the wind just right

it has been beautiful here the last few days so ive been driving with the windows down (incl the rear one) and have been in traffic a bunch -- its been no big deal.
    really? when did you cut yours. after seing yours pretty crimped is when i started to think of cutting it back.

a few weeks ago
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

since my friend has a bender, maybe i should just cut it like i want it then see if i get fumes. if it smells i can always weld a new peice on in like 2 minutes and make it closer to the body

mine is cut off just behind the rear axle - and has been for over a year. i haven't noticed any exhaust fumes though.
    -andy

Mine is also cut off right behind the rear axle and I have never had any issues with it. Rear window down and all.
    -Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast