Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

Re: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

What kinda grinder you got? My makita 7.5amp cuts stuff like that pretty easy
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I've got a Craftsman Professional, 4.5".

The grinder doesn't bog down and the wheels are cutting it just takes awhile. One of the above pieces uses about 60% off a cutting wheel.

Id think it was the grinder. Ive used craftsman power tools before and wont buy them, they arent built as they once were Mike.

IE: My friends 19.whatever volt impact driver struggles vs a porter cable I got and porter cable is cheaper stuff too. Chances are your angle grinder is not powerful enough as it should cut even with cheaper blades, relatively well.

Id buy a more HD grinder as in the long run its worth it.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

i have probably the same craftsman grinder, and it is one of the best tools i have bought. about 4 years ago i did pull the head apart and replaced the grease with some awesome high temp moly stuff, and that seemed to be an improvement.

wheels make a big difference. The worst wheels I've had were dewalt wheels. they lasted forever, but refused to cut anything. i ended up tossing the wheel with about 75% left because it was unusable. the norton ones ive had are OK, but bang for buck, the harbor freight 4.5" are the best.

also depends on your steel, cold rolled vs. hot rolled, what grade, alloy, etc.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

My grinder is a 7 amp model that is about 12 years old now. I know they don't make things like the used to and I'm pretty sure it was the wheels. This grinder has a lot of balls and wasn't bogging down. I love this grinder. It's outlasted all the ones I've bought after it.

Sean, I've been meaning to take the head apart and check it. I'm sure after the heating it got it could use some fresh grease. I just saw the forecast and it's unseasonably warm (HOT) for the rest of the week. I'm not sure I'll be working on this much.

I don't work in that kind of heat in the day and around here it stays in the 90s at night. If it got down to 65 at night, I'd be working at night and in the morning.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Funny. It's almost 10pm and it's still 85 which is not the norm. I''ve been super busy anyways so it's not a huge deal since I probably couldn't work on it anyways.

mike, consider using cardboard and use that as templates if you're not getting the exact measurements you need

posterboard works great, especially the one with the half inch grid lightly printed on it. i've used that alot!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I usually use cardboard but didn't this time because of the bend. I only wanted to cut it once and didn't want to come out short. As it turns out it isn't that far off. Life is really busy with family and kids so I haven't had a lot of time to work on it. I had about 5 minutes tonight and almost got the piece with the bend in it to fit. Another 5 minutes and I'll be there.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast