Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

Re: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

I got a little time to do some work on the bumper. So far I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out. I'm not too happy with my welder and may be looking for another. Mine is having wire feeding issues and it's causing some sloppy work and trying my nerves. I'll be looking for deals but at the same time continuing on my with my work.

I got both pieces semi welded in. For the most part I'm trying to get the pieces in there. I'll probably have someone else weld from the back side to really burn it in place. Mine is in there but doesn't have the penetration I want or need. This is good though because it will keep this piece from warping which is what I'm fixing in the first place.

I'm really glad I kept that bend on the little wing. It has helped me keep things in alignment and making 2 pieces was easier than one piece with a bend in it.

I've ground down most of the welds as I'm trying to make this look as it hasn't been repaired. Like I said the backside will get burned in some more. There is still some more grinding and welding to do but that will be for later.

When I uploaded the pic I realized I still have a relief cut to weld. It's the small vertical cut on the front.

Front

Kind of weird angle but it shows the thing is square again. It used to have quite a twist in it.

This is the next piece to build. I think parts will be fun and other parts will be hard and annoying.

Bent, twisted and dented. At least the other side is usable as a template.

You can always bevel the edges to get better penetration.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

great job mike!

Twice I've typed up an update but it times out and then there is nothing. First one was kind of good, I think. Second one had more pictures and was funnier, to me.

Now I give up :thumbsdown:

I worked on the bumper yesterday and it's coming along. TTFN.

mike, i always write up my longer posts in notepad, copy paste them over, and then save them to my desktop in the event the post gets deleted (it's happened a few times).
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I know. I usually copy the entire text before posting. This way if it times out I just paste the thing back in and I'm good to go. I did it this last time but failed. I was trying to be funny and was describing what was going on while I was working on the bumper and why I needed to start cleaning up. I typed up everything, copied it and then started to proof read. When I was done I thought one more picture was in order (of my son sacked out and poopy - you had to read the story) so I copied in the link.
    Well, when the SOB timed out I pasted in my "text" and all I got was a link to picasa, dang it!
    Gave up and got back to work. Work-work.

Fine I'll just do pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i have probably the same craftsman grinder, and it is one of the best tools i have bought.
    Yes we do have the same grinder. I agree, it's a very good one.

Yours

I looked and looked and only found a blurry photo of just the top of mine. I thought I had a better one but it's time to take pictures of the tools again.

Little time means little progress. It also means just pictures.

Another handy tool used on the old piece to transfer to the new piece.

Tacked

More tacking. I need to make sure everything is where it needs to be. I have a feeling there is still grinding and fitting needed.

looks good. going to have it installed for Pismo? coming to pismo?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast