Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

Re: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

Yeah I'll be at Pismo but I'm not sure about the bumper. I'm busy enough that I only have about 30 minutes to work on it every 4 days or so. I also don't want to fully install it until I'm done with everything I want to do to it.

I've got the turn signals I want and have to slightly modify the wiring hence the reason not to take the bumper on and off a bunch especially if I can only work on it here and there. I also need to figure out my fogs and a few other things. This is on top of everything else plus the bumper isn't needed for Pismo so I don't want to rush it.

Who knows though. Maybe one day I'll get some hours on it and it will be done.

Navigator

It sucks modifying a DD. You can't leave it in pieces while you work on it!
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Kind of. It's not so much about the DD as I don't need it for the most part during the week. It's more of a time thing. Work, hobbies, training/racing, friends/family and kids leaves little time for things like modding my DD. I commute on light rail and bicycle everyday so it can sit but I just don't want it sitting too long and in the way. That and when I do need it I don't want to spend the time putting it back together just to take it apart again.

After today I will have commuted 407 miles on my bicycle in the month of August (not bad considering the average temp for the month was 94* - ironically this past January I also commuted 407 miles). Most of the daily driving I do is random BS stuff here and there and can be done with my wife's car if need be.

I've got a lot of vacation time stocked up but if I'm at home I've got kids, quiet nap times and the honey-do list to contend with.

mike,

amazing work, man. keep it up. whats the name (brand n model #) of that awesome tool?

bob: http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Level-2.../dp/B0000TFIBW

they are available at home depot and the like.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yep Sean, you found it. I got mine at Home Depot just randomly a long time ago. I'm glad I did because when I need it, it's invaluable.

Today was a busy day but I managed to get some welding and grinding done. I also started cutting down a 40 foot tree in my yard (I hate having nothing to do-this tree is big and dead but is not going to fall or hurt anyone how it stands, total ADD + chainsaw ) that is next to high voltage wires, telephone wires and power lines. Mowed the lawn, vacuumed the house (I kind of have to do that after I go tromping through the house after I've been in a tree with a chainsaw), played with the kids, finished laundry and went out to dinner with friends.

I started by finish welding the bottom piece. It went pretty well and was in a groove when I ran out of welding wire. I spent about 30 minutes transferring 1 pound of wire onto a spool from a 10 pound spool

After I cleaned up that mess I ran extra beads around the other work I had done last week. In some of the places there were just tacks. In others areas extra bead was needed because I was having wire feeding issues when I was working on that part.

No one had come out of the house looking for me so I started to grind. I pretty much used up an entire 4.5" grinding wheel grinding smooth welds and smoothing out the very bottom piece. It looks pretty good but it still a little rough here and there. The plan is to hit the rough parts with Roloc discs before primer and paint.

All together, solid and straight.

Still no one came looking for me so I continued. I decided to go with some oval LED turn signals. I looked all over at pretty much every type that was out there. I wanted LED but wasn't sure on the size, shape or emitter. Some are mega bright and others kind of small. I feel like I chose a style that I will be happy with.

They have superflux type emitters and use a bezel for attachment. I was going to go with the rubber grommet but I wanted something a little more solid and secure. I also wanted them to be pretty straight considering I have to cut holes for them. I can do one fine but to make the other side match in location and plane could be a challenge. I figured the bolt/screw in would suit me best.

Light. Apparently the middle 4 can be turned on as a running light and the remaining 6 as the turn signal. I'm not sure how to do that as there is no information regarding wiring configurations. I put 2 of the leads to power and they turn on so I know they work. I'll call the company next week to talk to the tech staff.

The non damaged side of the bumper has a cut out for a rectangle turn signal. The hole is too long so I had to fill it in some. I used a piece of the damaged rectangle cut out from the damaged side and welded it in.

Here you can see the hole with the scrap welded in. The hole was from the scrap and the old hole was welded in. One other thing I like about the bezel on the lights is that they cover the opening and I don't have to cut an oval hole to hold the light. The screws will hold it in nice and tight.

I need to do some mock up and some measuring but I'd like to incorporate the factory fogs in the bumper. I need to make sure they fit and will project properly at the higher bumper height.

thanks mike. when i think i dont have enough cool tools.

looking really good, man. cant wait to see it after its all done. somethign tells me it'll be better than original

awesome work! I like those lights! The only thing I hate about my oval lights are the grommets. I think it is a stupid way to mount a light. But it does do a pretty good job, and I think it minimizes the vibration transfer.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The grommet and loose fit is what I wanted to avoid. The likelyhood of me getting 2 perfect oval holes was slim to none so this affords me some wiggle room.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast