Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

Re: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

Just get it close enough and slot the screw holes if need be. You can't tell me you don't have access to a laser level? *Reminding myself I need to reset my floods.

There shouldn't be a need to slot my mounting holes. I just need to ge the big hole in the right place. I can use a laser level to set the lights but finding the same spot on both sides of the bumper might be hard. It appears as if there is still a slight bend on the top. It's all one piece now so things like this are apparent. Now it's tweak and weld time.

In order to get a hole in the vicinity of where I needed it I decided to clamp the wing I've been working on, onto the bumper so I could transfer lines. It actually worked really well.

It's always nice to have a second set of hands especially working around fumes, sharp edges, sparks and heavy metal objects. This was my helper until Mom came out and lured her away with cookie baking. At least she'll be well rounded.

She helped me cut the hole for the light and gave me a few pointers. She also went inside to get my belt since she said my butt crack was showing, sheesh. I also started to weld in the wing. It was a little high on one side so I cut the welds and ground down the edges. I may have to do it again to drop the far outside edge.

Drilled some holes snapped my fingers and they lit up. They seem to be a nice brightness and I'm wondering if they will be brighter with a running engine and say 14 volts. Hopefully soon I'll be able to answer my own question.

Navigator

Looks like it's coming along quite nicely there!
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

lookin good mike!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Well I've gotten to the point where I need to mount the bumper to make sure things are where they need to be before they get burned in. I decided to remove the stock bumper and mount the TJM bumper brackets to mount the bumper. I ran into a problem though. The frame ends of 3rd gen 4runners differ (as well as other portions of the frame). The '98 brackets are different than the brackets needed for a '99-'00 frame.

I've got some feelers out and some emails tracking down some brackets. I figure they are available because people wreck these and need replacements, I just have to find where they are hiding. If worse comes to worse I could cut the brackets I have to build up some but right now I'd rather not as I'd probably bugger them up.

Here is what I'm working with. The large flat piece on the front of the frame rail does not exist on a '98. As such the brackets are different.

This is one of the brackets I have. It's a real nice one but it won't fit around the flat piece on the front of the frame rail.

These are the brackets I need. I found this picture on the internet and it's obvious it's different than what I have, bracket wise. I spent a good 15 minutes with the brackets I currently have thinking they would work. Mixing left with right, upside down, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of where to look for some brackets? I'd rather not pay to have them made even though I basically have half the bracket. I've got emails into Steve at Sonoran Steel and Slee.

On my shrockworks, the end cap gets cut off and the bracket fits around the end of the frame. a new piece with a welded nut gets welded inside the tube to bolt the bracket to the frame head on.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Steve Schaefer said he had to cut the frame ends off his frame to mount a TJM on his 4Runner. You have to do the same on ARB bumpers. I'd hate to cut the ends off to find the bumper isn't really going to work or look right.

I'm going to look for some brackets and then take a good look at the brackets I have. One the ones I have the bottom and side holes are where they need to be. I can either trim down the front plate on the frame and/or modify the bracket around the frame plate. I need to crawl under there again to see if this is feasible.

PM bruce, maybe you can get ahold of him that way. He is the only other 99+ i know of off hand.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Good idea. If he bought his bumper for his year it would have come with the correct brackets. This bumper I'm working on had been sitting at his place before I took it over.
    I've been told he'll be at Pismo so I'll pick his brain and check out his setup in a few weeks. Maybe I'll bring the brackets I have and compare and maybe make a template.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast