Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

Re: Re-building/Repairing a TJM Bumper

I could winch it back into shape for you!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thats an idea. It needs to be pulled down which would be easy to do while in a dune. Biggest problem is that I'm sure it's in the middle section and winching may cause more damage in that section.

wouldnt the truck sink too while you're winching downward? I think this doesnt sound like a winning strategy

nice job
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

mike, the winching idea was a joke. It never goes very well, ask me how i know!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Joking? Oh sure.

I've got the day off and both kids (mommy's work day) so what better time to spend the morning than bench pressing a bumper? I got the rest of the hardware I needed and got to tweaking. The goal was to mount the bumper as level and even as possible. Not messing up the new paint on it would be a plus.

The damage to the bumper was on the driver side and as a result the bumper tends to flare up on that side leaving the passenger side either level or drooping depending on where the mounts were on their oval mounting holes.

I tightened down the driver side about 80% then pushed the passenger side into place and bolted it up. Over all it looks pretty good.

For paint I went with the black hammered paint I use on my sliders and skid plate. It's nice stuff but the bumper is kind of big so it's a lot of paint. It's a bit glossy too so we'll see if I keep it. Flat black is a bit too industrial and has that faded look. I tried a black metallic but it didn't have the look I liked so I put the hammered over it.

To control the fast turn signal blink I replaced the factory flasher with an EP-35 and all is back to normal.

This morning, with the skid plate off due to an oil change.

With the Hellas installed.

It looks much more level than previous pictures. The Hella lights are also an indicator and they look more level. Now all that's left is to re-install the bezels around the turn signals and I'll be set for awhile...finally.

Looks great Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    The time has come that I need to drive again so the bumper had to be painted and put on. I've gone through 2 cans of primer, and about 5 cans of paint (so far).

The paint was still a little soft so I have some touch up to do but it's on and looks better than half painted. Once it dries and cures I'll be able to align it as well. Right now it only has half the bolts and is cockeyed.

Not to change the subject but do you have any idea where I can get those side pieces that you have for your bumper? I just bought a TJM for my first gen tacoma but the bumper is missing the side pieces. Just wondering if you knew where I could find them. Badass rig by the way.

The side pieces came with the bumper but I'm pretty sure they are generic. Even if TJM made different ones there can't be too many different part numbers. I also say this because mine don't have part numbers on them. In my search for frame mounts I emailed all kinds of dealers and TJM's around the globe. Turns out Slee bought out all the remaining parts from dealers in the US (So they say). They have a lot of parts but they aren't cataloged. Give them a shout and see if they have anything for you.

The bumper made to Pismo and back with zero problems. The improved approach angles actually helped and this was my first trip that I didn't munch my front license plate.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast