Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mold & Water In Cabin

Re: Mold & Water In Cabin

alarm installers love that spot for running wires. i love that spot too, as most of my wires run through that grommet. i usually make a hole with an awl, and push the wire through so it stays tight. mine leaks a tiny bit when nearly submerged (ask me how i know! lol) so it needs to be sealed up as well, but not really a problem down here in the southwest.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

My 2nd gen used to leak a bit where the grommet for the hood release wire was.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

On second look it looks like it may just be factory stuff. The grommet doesn't look 'cut' more so formed to accept to two different wire sets running through.

It's in an awkward spot though, so it's hard getting the silicon on the bottom and side. I did the best I could.. hopefully it sealed.. Hopefully that actually was the leak. I'll verify next weekend when I sand down/paint over the rust & take care of the mold.

... it ain't pretty, but hopefully it worked. Like I said before, the bottom and right side were hard to get to.

fenrisx,

betcha its related to the sunroof or your roof rack. many years ago i recall on the other forum that many people experienced water leakage from loose bolts the roof rack. T29 star hex thingamajibbas i recall. anyways, it'd be worth a shot to remove your rack system, clean, seal w/ clear silicone and re-seat the star hex bolts.

torx is the word bob was searching so desperately for.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    fenrisx,

betcha its related to the sunroof or your roof rack. many years ago i recall on the other forum that many people experienced water leakage from loose bolts the roof rack. T29 star hex thingamajibbas i recall. anyways, it'd be worth a shot to remove your rack system, clean, seal w/ clear silicone and re-seat the star hex bolts.
    I may give this a shot. I took them off and cleaned/painted/reinstalled them about 2 years ago, but this problem is far older than that. I've already begun the tear down and clean up of the floor. I sanded it with a heavy grit, and washed it out. I've just laid down a coat of Rust-O-Leum Rust Reformer. Going to paint over it with gloss enamel soon... which I may actually skip this step. It doesn't have to be pretty under the carpet.. just rust and mold free.

Also just cleaned the mold off with bleach/water mix.

The one part that sucked was the thick black rubber pad that you can see in the pictures. That was stuck to the flooring (assuming there was an adhesive to make it stick), but now it's old and brittle, so it broke into pieces as I was trying to remove it in one piece. I'm not sure what the purpose of that was... assuming it may have been for sound deadening? If so, it'll be a little louder in the cabin until I can get some more of that to lay down. I'd seen a thread where someone bought some that has a silver backing and you just (essentially) peel and stick it to your flooring for sound deadening.. I might go that route.

With all of that said.. I think I'm going to be in the market for new carpets soon. I remember seeing carpet on eBay years ago for around $200. Just pick that and some padding/sound deadening material up and go to town. The 12" Borla XR-1 is actually kinda loud in the cabin anyways.. so that should help with that as well.

Here's something I just noticed...

On the passenger side there's a drain tube that's coming from the behind the dash, down behind the kick panel, and follows along the floor boards.. then up into the rear cargo area to I don't know where (didn't remove all of that).

From just behind the kick panel back to just behind the front door, the tube is filled with water (looks dirty). Basically there's a piece connecting the tube to another tube where the front and rear door meets. The water isn't making its way through that. What's this drain tube from/where does it go? Is there and evaporation area in the rear cargo passenger side like on the driver side?

behind the kick panel:

where the front/rear door meet:

Also - the driver side sear belt:

Weird that only the bolt and bracket have rust, but nothing surrounding. Must be the paint keeping it at bay.

That tube's the fluid transfer tube for the rear window sprayer. When was the last time you used it? It's a pretty easy procedure to pull open things and just let it hang and push a bunch of water through. Don't leave it attached b/c you'll clog the squirt nozzle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast