Thread: U Joints

U Joints

Lets just say I tried to change just one, one u joint. It didnt go according to plan, snap on press and everything it got stuck on both ears of the flange and shaft and created a mess. I finally cut it out and cleaned up the burrs but I buffed them out with a dremel and sanding wheel. Sadly the flange is kaput, the ears on the shaft are ok. One ear is slightly to large but maybe by a mm at best, I think it will be ok.

Ran down to the local pick and pull and snapped the end of a shaft for 40 bucks with that flange on it. I wanted to yank a shaft out of a pre 96 4Runner they had laying around but the bolts were froze and it was sitting on the frame pretty much. I PRAY the ears on the shaft are ok otherwise to the driveshaft shop.

Argh..nothing ever goes my way. Try and do it myself to save cash and now Im SOL till monday driving in fwd.

Btw, cant recall who asked me but moog/precison u joint #285 (fits practically every yota truck/suv) is a good joint but the grease fitting is on the end of one of the caps as were all the joints I looked at. Appears only stock yota (guessing timken prob) have the fitting on the inside, but you cant get them anymore. I supose you could plug that fitting off and drill into and use a right angle zerk like stock if you wanted too-more trouble than its worth imho.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: U Joints

better off capping that grease fitting with a button head socket screw, and removing only to replace with zerk, grease, then replace with the button head screw. less chance of it shearing off.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I doubt where I go it will shear but I might do that sean. I just hope everything goes together right after the fiasco.

7 u joints for both shafts on this sucker too. 2 double cardans..amazing..

Careful driving in fwd. I had to do that for a few miles on the street and it handled funny.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Your telling me it handles funny lol. Believe me it wants to drive STRAIGHT, turning when taking off is interesting to say the least.

End result: The tool I used apparently is messed up and I didnt realize it, the spindle (its the large c-clamp type tool) is ever so slightly bent. Thus causing the joint to be pressed out at a slight angle.

I now need a new driveshaft, got one coming from a yard in PA for 200. Which considering everything isnt bad. The local driveshaft place said he couldnt repair it and I cant find a shaft locally. SHAME the local pick and pull I got the flange from wont sell me the damn shaft off a engine-less T100. Sure..buy the damn truck for 2500 he says and part the rest of it out. He winked and goes, ill give you 900 if you bring it back w.o the d-shaft.. Fark that.

I swear from now on if something needs to be repaired and it has a chance to go wrong to the point of causing major $$$ I aint touching it. EVERYTHING so far has broken or gone wrong with this truck, I have only bad luck.

Good news: Got the d-shaft andput the front section on of the 2 pc set.

bad news: support bearings done. making it work for now and ordering a new one thru my shop tomorrow.