Thread: 89 Taco 4x4 22R wiring diagram

89 Taco 4x4 22R wiring diagram

Noob here , just bought a 1989 Tacoma 4x4 with 22R engine. The PO has butchered the underhood wiring ; I have the Toyo manuals from 1990 ; are the 89 and 90 Toyo's wiring the same or similar ? I think a new underhood/engine harness might be a good start . Thanks for the thread on starter re and re . Looks like fun with IFS. Be safe...Bob.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO BLEND IN

Re: 89 Taco 4x4 22R wiring diagram

the wiring of an 89 and 90 pickup should be very similar if not the same. 89 was the first year for this body style, and the engines carried over from 88. the R engine should be easier to fix than an RE, the latter having electronic fuel injection and a considerably more complex wiring harness.

just a FYI, the tacoma name was not used until 95. prior to that, the pickup was creatively referred to as "pickup" and in other markets "hilux", although the hilux name probably does not accurately describe your truck.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Wouldn't you know , it's an RE with the fuel injection and ECM ? Thanks for putting me straight on the model , a 4x4 pickup , not a Tacoma. I'll know better once I get under the hood into the wiring mess. Be safe...Bob.

Navigator

Welcome Bushman! Sounds like an ambitious project, but there are very knowledgeable people here if you need help. And just be glad you don't have the v6!
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Just talking to the PO who said he also had a burglar alarm installed on the truck and a remote starter , but now can't find the remote . LOL . I'll start with removing all the unnecessary BS like the remote start and burglar alarm ; hopefully by then my starter contacts and service manuals will be here . The wiring all over the truck looks like somebody was having a great time wiring up electric windows, a huge stereo and amps , etc. It's just pathetic what some people will do to these little trucks . It's just going to be a bush-truck slave , hauling material , water and gravel while we build a cottage 150 mi. north of here ; THEN , we get to play with it. Lots of mining and logging roads to discover. Thanks for the help and encouragement , guys . Be safe...Bob.