Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Three 5VZ-E Ignition Coils

WTB: Three 5VZ-E Ignition Coils

Anyone have 3 extra ignition coils they're willing to part with? I'm having some misfire problems, changed the plugs and wires and the problem just came back... Next step is coils I guess
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Re: WTB: Three 5VZ-E Ignition Coils

Before you throw coils at it, which Cyl are you miss firing on?
    Are you getting a random miss and then a miss code for all cyl?

I have to pull the codes to see, I'll look at it tonight.
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Alrighty I was finally able to pull the codes, my OBD2 system was on the fritz after the plugs job, it turns out I accidentally disconnected the signal ground on the supercharger when I replaced the spark plugs & wires.

Anyway the codes are:

P0172 System Too Rich Bank 1 (this one comes in and out intermittently depending on how much go pedal I use )

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
    P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected

I think cylinders 2 & 5 are the "middle" cylinders on each bank, meaning they are on the same coil. What do you think? I'll try and clean the connection on that coil, just in case it's just some grime in there...
    Brian

Sound like the rear coil pack is going.

2 & 5 are linked through that coil pack

5 6
    3 4
    1 2

5 is your pass side rear cyl, swap the coil packs from cyl 5 and three and see if your miss moves, if it does then you know you need a coil pack, if not, then there is another issue some where in the system

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    5 is your pass side rear cyl, swap the coil packs from cyl 5 and three and see if your miss moves, if it does then you know you need a coil pack, if not, then there is another issue some where in the system
    Good idea, I'll do that and see what happens.
    Brian

any word? did it move?

I regrounded that one connection and the misfire hasn't come back... Haven't gotten any check engine lights in a couple of days actually since I tweaked the tune a little, and it passed Texas inspection with flying colors.

I'm just going to leave it alone until the misfire resurfaces (or doesn't), I got the feeling it happened more in the rain (hence my thought it was the plug wires) but we will see
    Brian

Well the misfire came back on 2&5, swapped the coil pack to the middle and its still 2&5... maybe the connector?
    Brian

Check the connectors, If the plugs and wires are good and so is your coil pack since the miss didn't move, I would say you can safely eliminate spark.

I think we are looking at fuel or air here, and since I am sure your getting plenty of air with the blower, I would lean towards.

How old are the injectors?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast