Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: Three 5VZ-E Ignition Coils

Re: WTB: Three 5VZ-E Ignition Coils

The plug seems ok from what I can tell, but I'm not sure there's a great way to know 100% without doing some serious tear-down. I need to read through my FSM and see if anything in the troubleshooting section covers misfires. I should probably pull the plugs and check their screw caps too, they're nearly new IK-22's but I've been burned by loosening screw tops before.

The injectors are 318cc ones from the URD fuel kit, installed in 2006. So not exactly new, but not ancient... I might try some Seafoam through the tank though nice reminder.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Checking the FSM myself and the diag procedure for the issue.

It could be the screw caps on the plugs, I have never had issue with them either, then again I just run the Toyota Denso, but I am not boosted.

As much as I thought you might have eliminated spark, not quite yet.
    With the URD stuff, you had to pin out some wires off the ECU harness correct?
    It could be something in the harness, but I am not sure what is pined.

I went and got some Seafoam to run through a vacuum line and the tank but it occurs to me that the misfire on 2&5 only really points to spark since they share the same coil, it's just very unlikely fuel injectors would be the issue on both of those cylinders since they're on different rails and everything. Of course I don't really know if it can detect an individual misfire between 2 or 5, or if it just knows one of those cylinders is misfiring and throws a code for each.

I'm going to have to troubleshoot the harness to see if I'm having voltage problems at the coil connector, probably pull the plugs and make sure everything kosher on them... if I'm really having misfires in a cylinder the plugs should be blackened more so than the rest.
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Well I've still been troubleshooting my problem with no obvious resolution, although I do have it "fixed" for now.

I went in and ohmed my ignition parts individually per the FSM, everything checked out. So I cleaned the MAF, replaced the TPS, ran seafoam through the gas, nothing fixed it... SO, I replaced the IK-22 plugs with new Toyota OEM plugs, and the problems appear to have gone away. Idles smoother, good power (better than before), with smooth revving and no misfires on the way to work.

Edit: By the way, when I took the IK-22's out they all look good, the misfiring cylinders included, and no loose screw tops...

So it could be a bad set of IK-22's, but honestly it's running better than it has in months, so I'm just going to run factory plugs for a while and see how things go. I'm not worried about knock, because if I hear any I can just retard the timing a bit.

At least it's running nice! Now I can focus on the Toytec adjustable coilovers that are sitting in my garage ready for installation
    Brian

Thats good to hear, honestly I like sticking with factory stuff engine wise period, just will run better, even supercharged, they never offered a different plug style for the s/c motors

Yeah I've been running IK-22's for 6 years now, and they're the recommended spark plug for supercharged 3.4's, but I've had way more problems with them than the factory plugs... Just goes to show you it's always best to go back to basics when the SHTF
    Brian

Navigator

interesting that the SC 5vz's don't need a colder plug.. Most Forced Induction engines do.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Well the IK-22 is the recommended plug for the 5VZ-E ever since I've been supercharged back in 2006. They're meant to prevent knock; thing is, you can also prevent knock with timing retard. We'll see how things shake out in the next few weeks.

Of course I've been running IK-22's for 6 years now, so I'm still not really sure what changed that caused my engine to hate this batch...
    Brian

I installed my URD 7th injector kit as I got time. The IK22's were the first part of the kit to get installed and I *think* it reduced the pinging somewhat, although certainly not entirely. It ultimately took 4-5 degrees of ignition retard (max) to cure the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    I *think* it reduced the pinging somewhat, although certainly not entirely. It ultimately took 4-5 degrees of ignition retard (max) to cure the problem.
    Yeah me too...
    Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12