Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Desert Jamboree" Planning Thread - Please Help!

"Desert Jamboree" Planning Thread - Please Help!

Ok gents, help me out with this.

The goal is to create a "Desert Jamboree" (a tentative project name, it will change). This is somewhere between a "very organized trail run", and a "show up and follow us through the desert".

here are more goals:
    -Annual event, possibly semiannual (2x a year)
    -Visit new thing each time. These events would sort of center around the Mojave Road to start, but could also grow to include other overland routes through the desert and surrounding areas of Southern California. Other trips could include visiting interesting spots and connecting the dots with the miles of dirt roads between.
    -relatively small groups, no more than 15 trucks. larger groups may be split in two.
    -family friendly
    -3 day trips (friday-sunday traveling)
    -small raffle, potluck, games, etc.
    -Tech demo's as the present themselves.

So, what do you want to see?
    Let's start with the Mojave Road, as that area is a bit easier to explore. I took a group through back in March: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...&topic=10052.0

Planning thread for that event: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=9974.0

To those that went, or saw the pictures, what were your favorite things? what would you really like to see again or spend more time exploring? What were your least favorite things?

Now, I ask you to, in your free time, explore the internet and find interesting things in the Mojave National Preserve that we missed. Links to websites, pictures, coordinates, whatever you can post so i can look at including those in the next trip we do. Even if you are out of state and will never participate, if you know of something, let us know!

Any and all input is appreciated in this. I can plan an awesome trip that I want to take, but I rather take you guys to where you want to go. We all know something different, so let's share that knowledge!

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: "Desert Jamboree" Planning Thread - Please Help!

My input.

First, do not limit the group to 15 trucks. The best way to make sure your event has minimal impact is to restrict rigs to a group that small. In fact, given the site activity I'd suggest not limiting rigs at all. You are wandering through the desert, there is plenty of room for more trucks. If tons of folks show up you can do a few things like give everyone a map and let them depart camp for the day's destination whenever they wish or use "speak up or keep up" where if a person can't keep up they radio ahead and the leader slows down. That works 1 zillion times better than trying to keep lower cars in your rear view mirror while trying to wheel a trail.. and eventually radioing ahead when you inevitably lose sight of them by which time the group is stretched like a slinky.

For multiple events/year I'd suggest a mountain event in the summer when Pismo is crazy, Pismo in the fall, and desert in the winter (jan/feb).

Just plan the trip you want to take and invite others along. You aren't getting paid for this and organizing events is a ton of work. Anyone who takes something like this on deserves to pick the route. Also, by taking decisive action like this you don't run the risk of turning folks off who's ideas don't make the itinerary. That might sound odd but I have seen it happen on forums over the years.

Lastly, pick times, dates, and destinations early that conflict as little as possible with other similar events. If you want to open it up to ideas on a forum that's your call but lock it down in plenty of time for folks to plan. That will ensure your event has the farthest reach as far as distance between attendees and the event.

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

Frank, I completely agree with all of what you said.

The limit on the # of vehicles is for two main reasons. The biggest is the NPS. National park service limits groups to 6 vehicles, 14 people with out a permit. I am fairly confident I can get a permit for 15 vehicles, but after that the chances of them requesting event insurance and other such items increases, as does the likelihood they deny it completely. Second, finding a campsite(s) suitable for more than about 10 is very difficult, and 15 is about the maximum I would feel comfortable trying to find campsites for. We could fracture into a dozen little camps spread over a few miles, but that sort of defeats the purpose of a planned event.

I am not set in stone on the number, but making it a free for all event makes the planning nearly impossible in a place like this. some highly desirable campsites will only fit 5 vehicles. Planning for every possible contingency is time consuming, frustrating, and difficult. Those are the 2 biggest reasons for not allowing 30+ vehicles. the other logistical problems are manageable.

Desert season is basically november 1st thru april 1st. we could do two desert events in there. Mountain events are a whole other beast, so I am not going to include them in this.

I have a few different routes planned, but I know there is a lot more to see out there than what I have on google earth, notes, and paper maps. I'd like to find new stuff to see to keep it from being the same ol' trip. If others can look around, or chime in and say "hey, there is this really cool thing out in the middle of the desert. It is only 15 miles out of our way and would be really cool to see it!" then that saves me a ton of work, people get what they want and everyone is happy.

Dates and times will just be set, likely on 3 day weekends (president's day is pretty perfect for this kinda thing) and hopefully people can take the day off. Also, it is possible to join or leave mid trip, which is convenient.

Thanks for posting frank!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I havnt seen much for info about that place. There are mines around but non that I know of that would be interesting without vert gear.

Sean,

Many moons ago we did June Lake / Mammoth / Bishop. This offered a lot of different places to explore with plenty of rv camping places. This might be something we can re-explore as I'm sure many of us that did this years ago wouldn't mind re-exploring many of these sites. Plenty of places to do day trips in the surrounding areas with stock vehicles which is key when you want to attract a larger audience.

Another option is just to do a free form different location every year so it doesn't become routine. I mean we can literally just call it the ultimateyota jamboree where every year we just pick a new destination and explore for a full week or so. By keeping the event family friendly we would have everyone gather at an rv site so those that want the creature comforts can enjoy the amenities while those that want to tent it can also just tent it too. The event can be a short weekend or extend over the entire week for larger destinations. Having everything central to rv camp sites we avoid the headaches of the "sanctioned event" where it requires an event insurance. We are just friends meeting at the site to "camp". There can't be restrictions there.

I think we need to get enough interest and then do a poll of areas to explore. With a large community I know we all have a bunch of places we would like to see so I'm definitely game!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Sounds like a great idea to me. Are you guys looking to keep this in the CA area? If not, then a jamboree in MOAB or western CO would be neat (Alpine Loop is a great trail)

The Mojave Rd. is almost an annual event, and it would be great to make it an official jamboree. I also like Lance's idea of rotating locations.

Back when I was in NC, I thought about putting together an event out on the outer banks, but the SE contingent here isn't really that large.

Anyways, I always enjoy the Pismo Jamboree, and another jambo would be great. I just hope I stick around the southwest so I can make these events.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Good points about the number of people. Since this is geared more towards an event than an informal gathering of vehicles you would need to worry about permits and camping facilities.

Otherwise if 50 trucks feel like running "The Road" and happen to pack up some of the camp sites that could happen any old weekend.

I wonder what makes something an event?

It sounds like a prerun is in order to asses camping situation. I don't know if dispersed camping is allowed or are you restricted to designated sites?

Frank
    1985 FJ-60, 3FE, Hell Creek lift, 2009 H3 sold

I'm down for whatever the format becomes. Sounds fun!
    I'll start the destination suggestions: I'd love to check ou the Vulcan Mine. Even though you can't drive in, it seems like it could be a pretty cool site from above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydee914
    I'm down for whatever the format becomes. Sounds fun!
    I'm with Jaydee, whatever the format. Had a blast the last time. There wasn't anything I didn't like about the last trip!

Mark.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Navigator

I'm in too, I have a SoCal adventures book that has that area in it at home (that i forgot all about for our last Mojave run), I'll try to remember to look through it when I get off work.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast