Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Desert Jamboree" Planning Thread - Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    I hate all these planning threads….lol. Makes me wish I were back on the left coast again. I'm really itching for another road trip.
    Never been out there for any off road fun, but I would love to get out there one of these days as well. May have to fly out for Pismo one year. I'm not sure my 84 would be a very ideal choice for the dunes. haha.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I'm itching to get back out there sometime soon!

took another look at a winter one I never paid much attention to due to the super easy rating, but it actually looks kinda cool
    Red Canyon, Bradshaw Trail, Augustine Pass, Chuckwalla Spring and Palen Pass (90 miles offroad) you could tie in the dale mining district as well to make it 120ish miles. That would be 29 palms to the arizona border down by the salton sea

its got some merit to it with nice views. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24114

Last edited by troyboy162; 07-01-2014 at 04:16 AM.

We'll have to see how El Nino does this winter. Low desert camping might be a bit unpredictable, as in you might want to bring a raft. The above trail looks like fun though, I'd be down for that one!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It looks pretty cool. Its super easy though and makes the Mojave trail look like the hammers lol. I've been to the dale mining district and that's a little more challenging but not by much. Beautiful mining stuff in the dale area

I'm going to put a trip together for that area. Thinking Thanksgiving weekend (Friday-Sunday or so, we will see how the mileage works out). It is the only time I have off from labor day to X-mas and NYE. If I get a day off for Pismo, it will require working 10 hour days instead of 8. bleh.

Also, I think this year's MRE will be an "Off the road" trip, seeing some stuff that is too far off the Mojave road to see on the normal track. I think we will try for a Sat, sunday trip this year, head generally North to South (or South to North, however it works out better), see some different mines, travel some different roads, etc. Unless we pre-run in the winter, we will consider it more difficult than the Mojave road since we don't know quite what to expect out there. Probably 4wd, 32's, rear locker or winch. I'll do my homework.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Got a rough map of some of it. Don't have much info on Ausustine Pass in terms of useful maps. Google Earth isn't much help either. I guessed.

Rough estimate is 135 miles for Bradshaw and associated locations. I don't have an exact track (that just takes way too much time) but the track reads 111 miles and I think a good addition is 20%. Easily done on a tank of gas for most of you. I bring extra fuel just in case.

Dale mining district is a rough estimate of 60 miles, with a few of those being on pavement to get from there to the start of bradshaw. That puts us at about 200 miles for the whole trip. Alot to do in 2 days, but it should be pretty quick going through most of it. Might be a better 3 day trip. Our daylight will be pretty short in late November, so it will be a pretty hard push.

Here is the pic. If you want the file, PM me your email addy.

There is gas between Dale and Bradshaw at Chiriaco Summit, and the Patton museum is there too, which would be cool to see. (see airplane icon in above photo where blue turns into red) That would make the fuel to fuel distance probably around 140 or 150 miles, easily doable without extra fuel.

Dont forget the sideshoot into the canyon. I thought it was part of the route the way all the reports are written but its a side trip.
    canyon.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast