Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Desert Jamboree" Planning Thread - Please Help!

I'll add that when I get a chance. I won't do too much planning on it until I know for sure I'm going. I don't get too much free time anymore!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Bump. This trip is a go for that weekend, weather permitting (since we spend a good amount of time in a river bottom, and we are expecting el nino this year). Any one in? Friday-sunday after thanksgiving.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I marked it on the calender. I hope to make it

Sounds good. I know it isn't a great weekend because so many of us travel to see family, etc. but hopefully we can get a few people out there!

Depending on conditions, I might drag the trailer for this one. Maybe.

I don't see how I can refuse.....since I could go for a morning run and meet you guys lol. I'm not going anywhere for Thanksgiving. Might have to talk to Battlewagon too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Cool!

I will post up a real thread soon.

To drive through Joshua Tree NP, it costs $15. Not really pleased with paying to drive thru. I don't bother with most of the national parks because they end up being tourist traps (sad but true).

Since we will be entering the park on a road that is not an official entrance with a booth, we will have to figure out how to get the pass ahead of time. I'll email them or call them next week and find out.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 07-11-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Cool!

I will post up a real thread soon.

To drive through Joshua Tree NP, it costs $15. Not really pleased with paying to drive thru. I don't bother with most of the national parks because they end up being tourist traps (sad but true).

Since we will be entering the park on a road that is not an official entrance with a booth, we will have to figure out how to get the pass ahead of time. I'll email them or call them next week and find out.
    There is an official entrance not far from where you want to enter. It's in the city of 29 palms or you can get a pass at the booth too if you're talking about park Blvd off of Utah trail.

As for El Nino I think the winter will be a little easier than the current monsoon season we are having. We have already been flooded out as a city twice lol. Base has much better drainage since they didn't build in a wash.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ok, We will plan on stopping there.

In the past, at least as I remember it, the low deserts get hit pretty good since there is no substantial mountain range between "the valleys" and the low desert. The high desert will still get hit, but not as hard. El Nino has that tropical moisture with it that likes to dump rain in a short amount of time, perfect for flash floods in a narrow channel pictured on the last page.

Unfortunately, we haven't seen any rain from the monsoons here. We got close on the 4th, but no dice. It's just been soooo humid!

http://www.southerncaliforniaweathercentral.com/ is a great resource. I highly recommend liking it on facebook and signing up for the email alerts, especially where you get crazy weather often. He is a private individual providing this service, and not affiliated with NWS, NOAA, etc. He actually does a really great job of predicting SoCal weather, something the major services seem to fail at because they lack the understanding of the mechanisms at work here.

I was down salvage yard diving on the 4th. Those clouds allowed me to pull that york compressor out of San Bernardino and check out in 30 minutes lol.

There was significant flooding here with the storm on the 5th so a lot of the dirt roads have been damaged or even "erased" depending on their location.

I will check out the weather service although weather here is pretty simple. When you see clouds you are only a couple of days away from a storm. The days you see rain clouds though can probably be counted on the digits you were given at birth.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Official post coming in the next couple of weeks. This one won't be huge on planning, since I just don't have the time, but it will be well thought out.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast