What's everyones favorite method of backing up photos?

I tend to just keep all my photos in the 'My Pictures' area of my Windows machine..and try to burn to DVDr or copy to a flash drive ever so often. The problem is keeping track of what's already backed up. At one point I was adding a 'backed up to dvd-r' tag to the photos I've backed up, but after one session of forgetting to do that.. that got derailed. Also, that I can't tag the movies from the camera in the same fashion.

I've been pondering the idea of using something like Dropbox, paying for extra space, and just let it keep my Pictures folder synced.. but that relies on a monthly payment which would exceed the cost of me doing DVDr or flash drive backups. It has the advantage of being off site, but has the disadvantage that if my account ever got hacked then all that stuff could go bye-bye.

I'm thinking about starting from scratch. Find a system (method) that works, and start burning to DVDr again so that I can accurately and consistently name the DVDr's for ease of cataloging.. and finding a method of doing the same on my PC so I know what's already on disc. I was just curious if you guys have a favorite software for helping with this?