Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo Backup

Re: Photo Backup

I currently have about 250GB of family pictures, and another 300GB of family video, stored on a pair of 1TB hard drives in a Raid 1 (mirrored) array in my computer. It's a nice way to go for accessibility, but the hard drives are starting to get a little full after some of the other random stuff on those drives like backed up movies and music. I've also done a few backups on Blu-Rays, but at only 25GB a piece for single-layer it takes quite a lot for a full backup...

My next plan is a premium (and admittedly expensive) solution: a large network attached storage (NAS) box for backups and media streaming across the network. I plan to get one something like this set up with 2TB drives in a Raid 5 array:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822122062

I have been looking into a cloud-based solution like Amazon Glacier which isn't too bad (around $10/mo for 1TB, $.01 per GB per mo) and access speed is a serious problem (upload and download). I think uploading my entire setup would take weeks!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Yeah, it definitely takes a while. If I went with an online solution like Crash Plan, I would take advantage of my jobs fast guest Wi-Fi. I can get about 2MB/s upload speeds off that.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    I plan to get one something like this set up with 2TB drives in a Raid 5 array:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822122062
    That's what we have at work.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

As luck would have it, this topic just came up on the photography forums:
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1223563
    Steve

That's a good thread on the issue. I really like the look of Crashplan+ Unlimited which would provide Unlimited sotrage for one computer for only $3/mo, but I have the same problem with any online storage solution- upload speed!

My internet here in Arlington is 20 Mbps down but only 2Mbps up... So figure a sustained upload speed of about 0.25 MBps (MegaByte per second vs. Megabit per second). If we assume it's able to sustain that speed about 75% of the time and I'm uploading 800GB (GigaByte) of data the first time around, it will take about 4.3 million seconds or about 50 days! A full download of the archive could also be a bit of work, about 5 days at 20 Mbps (assuming of course it can maintain full speed for most of the time as well, which I doubt unless their servers are really fast).

It all points back to a redundant NAS box for me I think!
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

I agree already having such a large amount of data to backup is the downside to online solutions like CrashPlan and Carbonite. I know with CrashPlan you have the option of having them send you HD's to put your data on, which you then send back to them to seed onto their servers. It's $100+ to do that though I believe, which is pricey. For me, at that price, it's a deal breaker.

Like I said.. luckily I could borrow my works wifi where I could get a sustained 2MB/s (megabytes) upload speed.

I like the redundant NAS idea for more than just backup. Just having that storage easily accessible to all devices on your network would be nice. Especially for media streaming. I'd like to the NAS route one day because of that... once I get the $$.

When I worked for the state of Ga Superior Court system, I was managing a program that we simply called "The Archive Project" but its basically a local network black box that pulls new files everyday from certain directories on their network, and saves a copy their locally as well as transmits to our secure data facility in downtown ATL. (same center Google's servers are in)

We used 1TB HDD's for initial setup and back up of files, and then the network black box would take care of updates from there. WE did a couple of small counties entirely over the internet, but it was a slooow process.

I use a similar black box at home, although it doesn't back up offsite.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

As long as you have a redundant HD in a different location or somewhere that a fire or thieves can't get to.
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12