Thread: Trying to Remove Brake Rotor, Having Issues 87 4Runner

Trying to Remove Brake Rotor, Having Issues 87 4Runner

I am trying to replace a broken wheel lug bolt on a 1987 4Runner and going through the steps is pretty straightforward until I remove the Aisin locking hub. Once I remove the front piece I get to a nut/bolt that will not allow me to remove the rest of the assembly.

Photos are below, any suggestions will be welcome. I've done this before on an 88 Runner, but the inside was not the same as this one.

How would I go about removing this bolt? I have a feeling it's either really simple and i'm just missing it or I did something stupid.

I've tried google and the search, but I think I'm just using the wrong terminology because I can't come up with anything.

Please take a look at the photos and you will notice there are no c clips or any sort of clips. Just a bolt which turns the axle.

Thanks!

Re: Trying to Remove Brake Rotor, Having Issues 87 4Runner

Get a pair of vise grips and put them over the cv axle shaft. Then take the nut off and hold the vise grips. Once your done that you have to remove the large nuts that lock the wheel bearings in place as well as the lock nut on the wheel bearing nut. You will understand when you see it.

The rotors incase your not aware are bolted to the drive flanges as well. you also need to torque the wheel bearings a certain way. I forget the values but you assemble the one nut on there and torque it, then spin the rotor, then torque it again and spin to make sure everythings free.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX