Thread: Baofeng UV-3R Dual Band HT

Baofeng UV-3R Dual Band HT

Trying to keep this sub category going here so I thought I'd do a little write up on the Baofeng UV-3R dual band hand held.

This radio is one of the many Chinese radios that have flooded the market and have become very popular. Similar to Troy's post (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=9325.0) folks have been waiting for these radios for several different reasons.

The main reason people are snatching these up is the price. The UV-3R's are cheap (between $40 and $60 for the smaller radio package). There is a huge following for the UV-3R and it's similar versions (UV-100 and UV-200). Worldwide there are online groups and communities devoted to the radio, modifications and developments to new models.

I bought this radio because it's cheap and it's small. This is an internet photo but it gives you an idea of it's size. FWIW this is the original UV-3R. The current model is the UV-3R Mark II. The most obvious difference is the dual frequency display and it has a dual band antenna instead of the original that had a 2m and 70cm antenna.

It's a clone of the Yaseu VX-3R dual band which retails for ~$250. The radios have very similar features and actually look alike. Again another internet picture.

From internet reviews it seems like you get what you pay for. In other reviews guys are using this for their primary radio. The plastic is thin but it makes for a small package and light weight. The buttons are solid and the control knob on top gives solid clicks. One down side of the radio is it's output, 2 watts. This isn't much but can be very powerful if you're using a repeater. Simplex to other radios would work similar to a CB (maybe better) but would most likely have a lot of noise, same with repeaters.

Another thing I like about the radio is that it is a Yaseu clone, therefore I understand it. People like a lot of easy menus and plug and play. Honestly a lot of radios are nothing like that. I've learned my two Yaseus so this radio was easy to program even without a keypad. Some models come with a programming cable and software. I guess it works well but I didn't need it so I stuck with the basic package.

This radio requires an amateur radio license to operate on the UHF/VHF bands. The device will receive many more frequencies than is legal to transmit on so you will have to be careful. Another thing is that if it can receive the frequency it can transmit on it. This in itself would make this an illegal amateur radio here in the states. It's registered in the US as another type of radio so it flies under the radio, I guess. Reports online say that guys use it on FRS and GMRS frequencies but that's a big no no and you stand the risk of losing your license if not worse. If you have no license it's just worse.

Overall I tend to use this as a back up and on bicycle rides I volunteer on. My Yaseu FT-60r is a much nicer radio (with 5 watts of output) but it's much much heavier. It has it's place but the UV-3R can be held in a pocket or glove box along with everything else.

Re: Baofeng UV-3R Dual Band HT

I'll outline some of the features below.

-It's a dual band radio with an FM tuner. One nice feature is that you can monitor a frequency while listening to the radio. When a call comes in it switches over to the monitored frequency. UHF/VHF/FM frequencies can be programmed and scanned.

-The scan and Dual Watch feature is very nice. You can scan programmed UHF and monitor a VHF frequency if need be.

-The battery is very small and rechargeable. The package I bought comes with the radio, battery, usb/AC charger, charging cradle for the battery, lanyard, dual band antenna, manual and belt clip. The small battery has a very long standby time and pretty good transmit time. Like all HT's as the battery discharges the range can be limited. This battery isn't huge which makes for a nice light package but limits it's run time and output (2w). The battery is a common cell phone battery and additional batteries can be had for as little as $5 online.

-Dual line screen. You can see all the channels that are being scanned or monitored. You cannot program any letters so you'll have to know where your frequencies are located or which one you want.

-Weather frequencies can be programmed but there is no dedicated weather mode.

-The antenna is an SMA connection. This is nice because all my existing antennas work with this radio. This greatly increases my range and clarity depending on my usage. If I want to use it in a vehicle I can use a mag mount. Indoors I can just a small high gain stubby.

This radio might not be for everyone but like I said it's a cheap toy. I've had fun with it an expect it to last for my needs.

great for the price! thanks for the review!

this looks very cool. i want to have a hand held radio for hiking and vehicle to spotter communication.

i am also looking at getting my parents one for post earthquake communication (screw a license when the big one hits)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

If you're on trail using simplex these radios will shine. They are small and light and easy to grab. If you have a mobile radio with cross band repeat these radios are also a must. You can transmit to the vehicle with low power 70cm and have the mobile rebroadcast at what wattage you have it set at. The UV-3R max is 2w but my mobile max is 65w (just no crossband repeat).

For disasters or off the grid these will be good but I imagine the radio waves would be swamped. Right after the earthquake in Haiti, tsunami in Asia and Katrina bands all around the world were buzzing. Some were trying to make contacts others were relaying messages to areas that still had communication lines open.

If there are wide spread power outages you'll want higher power simplex features as repeaters will most likely be DOA unless you can reach ones farther away.

yeah, i realize this particular radio would be worthless for what i need it for as an emergency radio. i need something that will do 40 miles across the valley.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.