Thread: 4runner hood insulation

4runner hood insulation

My 4runner hood insulation is about to fall off the underside of the hood. Does this need to be replaced?
    Thanks
    2002 4Runner SR5&nbsp; /&nbsp; 3.4V6&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4WD&nbsp; /&nbsp; 4-Speed Automatic&nbsp; /&nbsp; Sonoran Steel System 7.2 Lift Kit&nbsp; /&nbsp; BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 Tires&nbsp; 255/85/R16&nbsp; /&nbsp; Stubbs Welding Standard 1.5&quot; Rock Sliders&nbsp; / ARB Bumper / Safari Snorkel / BudBuilt Front Skid / PIAA 520 SMR 6&quot; Driving Lights /&nbsp; Deckplate Mod&nbsp; /&nbsp; K&amp;N Air Filter&nbsp; /&nbsp; OEM Bug Deflector&nbsp; /&nbsp; Husky Liners&nbsp; /&nbsp; Thule rack / Cobra 75 WX ST / Outdoor Logic Drifter Antenna Mount / Rugged Ridge Hawse Fairlead License Plate <br />Photos &amp; write-ups: http://frohbego.blogspot.com/

Re: 4runner hood insulation

I'd say so. The insulation has plugs that are supposed to melt and the insulation is supposed to blanket a fire. I don't know if it works though. I've seen way more car-be-ques than engines with a blanket melted on top. I'd replace it. Try a local junk yard or auto recycler. Maybe even someone parting out a 4Runner that has a bad hood. The insulation should still be in good shape.

i dont have insulation on mine, must be a late 3rd gen thing.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I'd say so. The insulation has plugs that are supposed to melt and the insulation is supposed to blanket a fire. I don't know if it works though. I've seen way more car-be-ques than engines with a blanket melted on top. I'd replace it. Try a local junk yard or auto recycler. Maybe even someone parting out a 4Runner that has a bad hood. The insulation should still be in good shape.
    I'm not so sure of that, I've seen hood insulation actually start on fire because it fell on a hot exhaust + it wouldn't be able to seal off air flow to a fire anyway. Mostly hood insulation is there to reduce engine noise - sound insulation - the same reason so many engines have plastic covers on them in the last 10 years.

I'd say it doesn't have to be replaced, but if it's still in good shape maybe you can replace the plastic push clips that hold it up
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

^Ditto. When mine went bad I just yanked it and juggled the hood up and down for 5 minutes to get what was left of the plastic pop-clips to fall out the bottom of the rear cross support. Bonus is I no longer have little fiberglass and black mesh bits all over my engine bay after trips and for some reason my underhood temps dropped a little bit more.

**Besides, it's kind of cool watching the moisture on the hood steam off after the 5 minute warm up period every morning. (No, it doesn't affect the paint or wax.)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i dont have insulation on mine, must be a late 3rd gen thing.
    yup, 99+.