Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To catch the Nalgene bottle thief in my office---need some ideas

To catch the Nalgene bottle thief in my office---need some ideas

Hey guys,

The motherf###r. So I try to stay hydrated at work, so in the last few years, I've bought those Nalgene bottles. They're about $9-10 now at REI. I also bought the fancy screw top that allows you to drink from it w/o ice hitting you in the face. Those are $6 a piece. So I'm out $48 now on top of the bastard 3 years ago who stole my most prized Patagonia jacket ($100).

Some motherf'r at work has been stealing mine. I would from time to time leave them on my desk. I mean really. who the f'k steals water bottles? Apparently some POS who has now claimed 3 of mine. And for those wondering, yes, I've looked all over the house. And no one is stupid enough to steal them from me at the gym. It's literally within feet of me wherever I am in the gym.

So my thought is to set up a motion activated hidden camera somewhere on or near my desk. The problem though is that the office mgt turns off all the light. I am afraid that there won't be enough ambient light from my desk's overhead florescent lights to illuminate the bitch. I guess i won't know until I buy one and test one out.

Anyone ever done this? I need creative ideas. So some basic requirements:

- motion activated
    - good IR/night vision
    - run off laptop

one thing i was thinking of was to tie the bottle to a light fishing line, that when pulled, would set off a homemade claymore mine....no...sorry...just fantasy talk. ok, the line would be attached to some kind of flash that would illuminate the f'kr and provide just enough light to get the money shot.

Re: To catch the Nalgene bottle thief in my office---need some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5
    one thing i was thinking of was to tie the bottle to a light fishing line, that when pulled, would set off a homemade claymore mine....no...sorry...just fantasy talk. ok, the line would be attached to some kind of flash that would illuminate the f'kr and provide just enough light to get the money shot.
    That's probably the best way.

Can you leave your computer on? Set up a cheap webcam.

When I worked at REI everyone had multple Nalgenes but each was covered with stickers. At ome time I had near 15 bottles all colors and sizes.

sorry, I cant stand people that steal... I personally use one water bottle at work, but Ive put my name on it with a marker, in big print, both on the side making it easily seen, and on the bottom, had the same bottle now for about two years.

SuperGlue ???
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Webcam maybe. Its probably the cleaning crew.

Me, I would buy a cheap nalgene-and paint it with ink and leave it there for the jerk to grab. Or maybe slow setting epoxy.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

super glue works so well because it is pressure activated. it can sit there a few hours and then poof! stuck like a mofo.

i agree, it is likely the cleaning crew. most people won't steal from a coworker for fear of getting caught, etc.

a flashing camera will alert them to the picture being taken, and they will likely steal the camera too!

does your office have a camera system? you could ask them to look into it. or rig something that logs the time the bottle is lifted, so you have a lead on where and when it was taken (at 3am, cleaning crew, and 5:01pm, your cube mate)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

fill it full of bleach and eye drops and turbo lax, you will know then fallow the poop and vomit
    i sell cars to soon to ever work on them

Fill one up with water and, a-hem, wink-wink, put your "tea bags" in it. I mean really, really steep it, until the water takes on just a tinge of the yellow from the "tea bags" and let it sit somewhere safe at home for like a week or two just so your "tea" can ferment.

Bring it into work one random day, preferably in a bag until the end of the day so you won't accidentally drink out of it, and towards the last part of the day leave it on the desk to be grabbed.

I don't care how hard someone tries to clean it out, if they use them and ever plan on using it, that taste will be there forever and combined w/ the camera shot you then get to tell that person...

"Dude/Gal, you just drank my "tea". Do you know how precious those "tea bags" are? You got tea bagged!".

*Yes, I am good at this sort of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Can you leave your computer on? Set up a cheap webcam.

When I worked at REI everyone had multple Nalgenes but each was covered with stickers. At ome time I had near 15 bottles all colors and sizes.
    Mike,

I have a laptop that never stays at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    sorry, I cant stand people that steal... I personally use one water bottle at work, but Ive put my name on it with a marker, in big print, both on the side making it easily seen, and on the bottom, had the same bottle now for about two years.

SuperGlue ???
    Going forward, I'll mark it up. For now, I need some tech savvy ideas here.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast