Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To catch the Nalgene bottle thief in my office---need some ideas

Re: To catch the Nalgene bottle thief in my office---need some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    super glue works so well because it is pressure activated. it can sit there a few hours and then poof! stuck like a mofo.

i agree, it is likely the cleaning crew. most people won't steal from a coworker for fear of getting caught, etc.

a flashing camera will alert them to the picture being taken, and they will likely steal the camera too!

does your office have a camera system? you could ask them to look into it. or rig something that logs the time the bottle is lifted, so you have a lead on where and when it was taken (at 3am, cleaning crew, and 5:01pm, your cube mate)
    My boss gets back tomorrow (Fri), so I will ask him what can they do.

setting up a secret video camera is likely not legal. How about just locking up anything you dont want stolen? If you have cleaning crew that's going to be the end solution anyway, though not as fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5

Going forward, I'll mark it up. For now, I need some tech savvy ideas here.
    Boo, you don't need tech savvy, you need low tech solutions.

You are going to need some rubber gloves and some pepper spray.

1.Spray that bottle down with pepper spray, inside and out (especiall inside), put it in a big sealed bag and carry it to work.
    2.At the end of the day, set it out (with rubber gloves) on the edge of your desk pretty as can be.
    3. ???
    4. Profit
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I would go the webcam route so you can possibly get the person fired. I have a $25 Logitech that does motion-sensed recording. Just leave your computer on with the monitor off and disable sleep mode for the night.

If it's the cleaning crew, then they're probably bringing them home, and not using them while on the job.. so they probably won't care whether or not it's marked with your name.

Honestly, the best bet is just to lock it up if possible. Although, that is the least fun manner.. no justice served.

Chris for the WIN
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Chris for the WIN
    Chris, even I gotta admit you got the win on this one. So much simpler and less attacking than my idea.

I wonder what sort of ideas we'd be able to come up with if we were to ever work together, likely similar to my good friend and I designing things that go boom.

ken, im gonna explore the webcam idea. thanks for the suggestion. the other cams are pretty expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-960-0.../dp/B000RZNI4S

after reading a ton of reviews, this is the one i got. i'm gonna have to make it more stealthier than this and not mount it on the monitor b/c no one in the office has or uses a webcam. it would stick out of place. i'll make some kind of innocuous housing for this

Make sure to put a sign on your desk that says "This desk monitored by video surveillance equipment" to avoid any unnecessary legal issues. that being said, there is no real right to privacy in an office environment.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast