Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts and opinion on Apple's new iPhone 5

Thoughts and opinion on Apple's new iPhone 5

I'm sure we've all seen the new iPhone 5 online on various tech sites and even had witnessed the massive chaos online with the preorders going bonkers but has anyone joined the insanity and ordered the new iphone5?

I'm tempted to get it since my contract has long expired but I'm on the fence... The damn phone is soooo expensive it's really ridiculous how much these things go for! Just for pricing the 64GB is 399 w/ contract (eek!!) I've got Sprint (unlimited data bleh bleh) but I'm not sure if I should stick w/ Sprint or move over to Verizon since my cfo (the better half) is on Verizon. I know moving the Verizon means no unlimited data which would be a pain since I use data heavily with my iPhone 4. Verizon is nice with the better LTE network but the unlimited data that Sprint offers is kinda hard to give up.

At any rate, enough talk about the carriers, what's everyone's thought on the new iPhone 5? Worth it or screw it just go with the Galaxy phone? Both are definitely interesting so it would be interesting to get some other people's opinion on the latest craze with these phones coming out.

Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Re: Thoughts and opinion on Apple's new iPhone 5

I hate to say this as much as I love my macbooks, after my experiences w/ the 3GS and the 4 lately and then having the choice to use the Android, I'd either go Android or wait a little longer for the bugs to finally be fixed.

In other words, if I didn't get the past two almost free I'd have a hard time justifying keeping them. I gave the 4 back and as of 2 days ago almost threw the 3GS into the S.F. Bay. IMHO Apple's quality and reliability are not the same, no matter what someone tells you otherwise.

~Keep in mind all that said I'll never own another PC, ever. If Apple offers me/us the same option again I am really going to consider overall options b/c there are just too many APP and OS glitches. For that matter a pop-up blocker and the ability to run FF instead of Safari would be sick.

I had an iPhone 3g, and have had so many problems with it. i still use it as an iPod, but without wifi, it's pretty worthless as anything other than a music player.

I have an android now. I won't be going back to apple. The iPhone was the only apple product i ever bought. it was impressive for the time, but there are much better options out there. I might buy a mac someday, and load windows on it. osx just doesnt tickle my fancy.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I think it's a nice looking phone, but I prefer Android over iOS. So, my vote goes to the Galaxy S3. Actually, I prefer the design of the S3 as well.. I'm just not sure I'd like the 4.8" screen. My wife has the S3, and it's definitely a nice phone.

Don't give up your unlimited data to switch over to VZW. 2Gb for $30/month is crazy. For the record, my friends S3 on Sprint's LTE network pulled 32Mbps down, 15Mbps up using the Speedtest.net app. My hand-me-down Thunderbolt (was my wife's) on VZW's LTE network, sitting directly next to his S3, only pulled 8Mbps down, 10Mbps up using the Speedtest.net app. I have yet to pull over 13Mbps down on VZW's LTE network... but that's going to depend on your area. Sprint's LTE is actually really good in this area apparently..

I rooted the Thunderbolt so I could put an ICS rom on it, and I love it. ICS is definitely an improvement over previous Android builds, IMO. I didn't realize the iPhone was stuck on Safari for web browsing (based on the above reply), but I've ran stock browser, Chrome, FireFox, and Dolphin browser..and they're all good. Currently running Chrome as default web browser.

The one plus I will give Apple is customer care. My brother bought his family all iPhone 4S', and bought nice cases for them, but declined VZW's extra "insurance". Less than a month later his daughter's phone falls from her pocket 100ft up on a roller coaster and gets warped, and broken. VZW wouldn't do anything for him, but he drove to Atlanta to the Apple store and they replaced it for him for free.

My 4s has been pretty reliable, although it has its glitches every once in a while. I've owned it about a year now and I've only restarted it probably half a dozen times and half those probably weren't necessary.

I barely use any data so verizon works well for me. My lifetime usage so far is 125mb sent and 1.0gb received.

But if I used it as much as you do Lance, I don't think I'd give up unlimited data.

Edit: I meant cellular data usage. I'm sure it's way more than than through wifi.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Yeah the unlimited data is hard to let go. Considering how ATT and Verizon has updated their plan to tiered data plans I'm expecting Sprint to change that eventually. It's just a matter of time. Guess that still shouldn't mean I should abandon the unlimited data at the moment...

I have the original Galaxy S and I thought it was the bomb until I started using the iPhone 4. The biggest difference is usability between the two. I know the Galaxy S is worlds apart from the Galaxy 3S. Using the iOS for such a long time I don't know if I'll be able to work my way back to using the android OS.

doh!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

If you prefer iOS.. I think you know what to do.

Its just a slightly bigger option to the 4S.

I love my iPhone and will be getting another one when lifeproof makes a case for the 5, but for now I will hold on to my slightly glitchy 4.

Honestly, I think it comes down to personal preference.
    If I ever went to another phone I would be going back to a blackberry.
    Its the only phone and only OS on a phone that I really have never had issues with.

I have heard horror stories about owners of Android based phones having tons of issues, a friend of mine has one and he will be mid call and it will reset on its own, and he finds himself pulling the battery at least once a day to get himself going again.
    HOWEVER, I have heard people never having an issue with the Android phone.

I like the iPhone OS and am familiar with it enough to not want to change.

When it comes to your plan keep your Sprint, If you must switch you might want to consider AT&T over Verizon for this little detail, iPhone5 does NOT support data and voice at the same time on the Verizon network. That bothers me, but the way it works is that most verizon phones use CDMA (I think thats it) for voice and 3G-4G for Data, the iPhone5 has only one antenna that supports both while most other phones have two to do the dual function needed.

Play with them and see, its all personal preference.

Android. Works well, customizable, plenty of apps, much less $$$ than iPhone. I have nothing against the iPhone but I won't pay a premium for it and I would miss the Android's customization.

I really like my Android and haven't really considered an iPhone. I've got an HTC which allows me to change micro SD cards (up to 32gb) and change batteries. Having spare or backup batteries is great while traveling or in an emergency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast