Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts and opinion on Apple's new iPhone 5

Navigator

Re: Thoughts and opinion on Apple's new iPhone 5

I have to vote for Android too.. Everyone I know who has had an iPhone and got a recent Android says they will never go back. ICS and JB are incredible operating systems, stable and customizable. Personally, I'm not a fan of the GS3's size, its facking huge! But there are other phones out there, like the most recent Nexus, and the soon to be released Moto RAZR HD series. But if you like iOS, im sure the iP5 is gonna be a good phone, just not for me.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I'm still on the fence myself about the iPhone 5. I have a 4S and love it, and it's jailbroken capabilities. I may wait until the iPhone 5 can be jailbroken... Or I may not get it at all.

As far as carriers are concerted, I'd recommend AT&T only because it can talk on the phone and use data at the same time. Verizon and Sprint can't do that, even on the IPhone 5. AT&T has a 3Gb Plan for $30
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the GS3's size, its facking huge! But there are other phones out there, like the most recent Nexus
    C.. those phones are almost the exact same size, lol.
    Nex: 5.33 x 2.67 x 0.37"
    GS3: 5.38 x 2.78 x 0.34"

Considering the sheer amount of data I use I'll probably be forced to stick w/ the Sprint service. Their LTE is slowly growing and definitely behind ATT and Verizon so that part will suck horribly. I know LA does not have any LTE under Sprint at the moment (I think) so until that comes out I guess I'll have to leverage my wifi hotspots in the interim to get some decent bandwidth (or the office hehe).

Avy, I'm one of those rare folks that had a horrible experience with their android phone. I've had the usual disconnects and even the phone just shutting off during my call. I'd be on a call and suddenly I hear nothing so I stare at a black screen thinking huh wtf only to realize it's turned off somehow instantly. Didn't overheat or anything so I've had my fare share of whackiness. Surprisingly I still have the phone and still use it (Sprint service) but my iPhone 4 on ATT is so much better.

I'm definitely knowledgeable on both os's and both has its good and bad. Just hard to decide between the two because the new phones that are out are amazing! The GS3 is just a thing of beauty (though it's damn big!) I know the Android OS has come a long way since the original Galaxy S so maybe I'll have to play with someones to get a better feel before I decide to plunk some cash on a new phone.

I'm just glad we have lot of options to choose from. Better than those days when the Motorola phones were big *** bricks!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

even my red-headed stepchild of a phone, the HTC Inspire 4G (lol, 4G!) has been pretty much flawless. I do restart it about once a week, just to clear it (much like restarting my windows box at least every other day)

I typically use my phone for about 5-10 minutes of phone calls per month. a few hundred texts per month, and about 2gb of data/ month on the cell network. having the larger phone is a plus for me since its number one purpose is surfing the net. I have ordered books while in the first day of class, looked up oil filter numbers while at NAPA, etc. It fits comfortably in my pants or shirt pocket.

using my old iphone today while working in the garage, and i remembered the biggest flaw with it. the home button barely works anymore...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by L33T35T Tacoma
    I'm still on the fence myself about the iPhone 5. I have a 4S and love it, and it's jailbroken capabilities. I may wait until the iPhone 5 can be jailbroken... Or I may not get it at all.

As far as carriers are concerted, I'd recommend AT&T only because it can talk on the phone and use data at the same time. Verizon and Sprint can't do that, even on the IPhone 5. AT&T has a 3Gb Plan for $30
    jason,

what additional capabilities do you have with a jail broken phone?

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    even my red-headed stepchild of a phone, the HTC Inspire 4G (lol, 4G!) has been pretty much flawless. I do restart it about once a week, just to clear it (much like restarting my windows box at least every other day)

I typically use my phone for about 5-10 minutes of phone calls per month. a few hundred texts per month, and about 2gb of data/ month on the cell network. having the larger phone is a plus for me since its number one purpose is surfing the net. I have ordered books while in the first day of class, looked up oil filter numbers while at NAPA, etc. It fits comfortably in my pants or shirt pocket.

using my old iphone today while working in the garage, and i remembered the biggest flaw with it. the home button barely works anymore...
    At least you have a newish phone XD I have an og HTC Droid Incredible.. haha. I love this phone though, never had any issues with it. And it's even running GingerBread which is old school Android now. Worlds behind ICS and JB
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale

At least you have a newish phone XD I have an og HTC Droid Incredible.. haha. I love this phone though, never had any issues with it. And it's even running GingerBread which is old school Android now. Worlds behind ICS and JB
    Same phone here...HTC Incredible. I qualify for a new phone but when I look at what's available, they aren't entirely different from what we have. Basically, more memory (which I don't need) and more megapixels on the camera. I will probably stay with my Incredible until I break it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5

jason,

what additional capabilities do you have with a jail broken phone?
    Oh there are too many to list! A jailbroken iphone allows you to install more than just Apps, like Apple's App Store. Instead, the jailbroken App Store, known as Cydia, allows you to install packages. These packages can do many different things; I'll sum it up in to several catagories.
    1. Visual customization.
    -A jailbroke iphone allows you to visually customize your iphone to your liking. On my iphone, I have all the app lables removed, so all you see is just icons. I currently have 5 rows of apps on each screen, instead of the ususal 4. I also have 5 icons in my "dock" (the apps on the bottom that never move). Also there are many "themes" out there which allows you to theme your iphone to your liking.. including everything from changing colors of certain things, changing fonts, or changing app icons themselves to a centralized theme.

2. Little tweaks that make the phone a little more enjoyable
    -These little tweaks are very small modifications, which can make the overall user experience more enjoyable. For example, I have the local weather on my lock screen. When between pages of apps, I have a visually appealing effect applied, which makes it more enjoyable. Also, some apps themselves can be modified. For example, "pull to refresh". With these pull to refresh apps, you simply can pull down on a webpage, or your email to refresh what you're looking at, instead of looking for the reload button. Another awesome app is called "navigate from maps". theres an app called Waze, which is a free turn by turn direction app. The hardest part though is actaully programming the addresses in to that app. Well this jailbreak tweak adds a button in the Maps app that allows you to navigate to your selected point in the Waze app. These tweaks many times are things that it seems Apple may have "forgotten"
    3. Apps that Apple would NEVER allow in the app store.
    - MyWi is an amazing program if you have the need to tether, that is, hook up your iPhone to a laptop in order to provide internet on the laptop through the iPhones Data network. This is frowned upon by your wireless provider, but if used sparingly, it doesn't become an issue. Data providers generally charge an extra $20-30/MONTH to do this. MyWi is available for a one time fee of $20.

So there it is. There are so many apps in Cydia, the capabilities are endless. I'm not calling Apple copycats, but MANY of the current captailities that the current iOS software does are ideas that first popped up in Cydia. A couple examples are:

-Tethering (is currently built in to the iOS software with that monthly fee)
    -Wireless syncing (introduced last year by Apple, on Cydia years ago)
    -Notification manager (Apple last year, cydia again years ago)
    -Putting the camera on the lock screen (again, apple last year, cydia years ago)
    -Using the volume buttons as a shutter for the camera (same story)
    -Putting apps in to folders (Apple 3 years ago, cydia since day one)
    -Battery percentage (was in cydia a year before apple)
    -multitasking (cydia had it years before apple)
    Of course, with apple doing something, it's done much more fluidly than it's done on Cydia, most of the time. Reason for this is Apple simply designs the software around it, whereas the developers for Cydia apps have to work around the current apple infrastructure.

A final note - many people think Jailbreaking is illegal. It's not. The U.S. government says so. In fact, many of the "tweaks" on Cydia are paid apps. It is, however, very easy to pirate apps on a jailbroken iPhone, which, of course, I won't go in to here.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12