Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2002 4Runner Rebuild...Bringing her back from storage!!!

2002 4Runner Rebuild...Bringing her back from storage!!!

It's been a while since I was active on these boards, the 4Runner had just reached a point that I needed to take it off the roads and only trail ride it or sell it. Since I am not willing to sell the 4Runner at any price, it just took me a year and a half to decide to restore it to its old glory.

Currently she has 180k miles, the rear driveshaft spun out and I had been searching for a used one at LKQ for awhile, until I decided to try Tatton DS. She is lifted with a 2.5" OME (needs to be replaced), a potentially blown front differential with 4.56 gears (going to have to tear that apart to see what the actual damage is) the rear axle has disc brakes from All Pro which seem to continually have leaky seals so I am considering going back to drums, and my ARB air locker doesnt always want to engage or disengage properly. The sound system needs to be re-amped and wired. The snorkel needs a new intake piece ( a tree branch hit it pretty hard and now it looks like a stove pipe) and both plastic pieces on my ARB front bumper need to be replaced. Last I checked the Warn 9.5XP still worked and the alternator was charging properly. Since the tires (nitto terragrapplers 285/75/16) havent been spun in over a year they are probably toast, and I am missing a center piece to my TRD Ivan Stewart Wheels (screw in, not snap in) that I cant find anywhere so I will need atleast one new one of them. There are multiple other issues like window motors and some engine gremlins that will also need to be addressed, I plan on redoing the interior and if at all possible recoating the undercarriage (dependent on cost).

My plan as it stands now for this truck is to get a new 3" suspension lift (still researching which to get) fix the rear ARB locker and install an ARB locker in the front, finish my half doors that are 90% done, fix the stereo, fix the windows, fix the body parts that have been ripped off by rocks or hyundai's, put more armor on her and fix the body up as much as my budget will allow. I also want to add more attention to detail than I ever did before, now that I am older I believe I can do it better than I did when I was younger and perhaps even fix some of the mistakes I made (plenty of those, to be sure) Anyways, I will update this thread as I get the parts and diagnose the gremlins, and hopefully by years end she will be back to tearing up the trails all around the south east!
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Re: 2002 4Runner Rebuild...Bringing her back from storage!!!

WELCOME BACK!

sounds like a good plan!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I was just looking at your pictures TODAY on T4R and wondering what that thing was looking like these days!

Welcome back.

Restore? Meh, buy a trailer, and REALLY have at it.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Navigator

Welcome back Kyle!

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    That's your answer to everything Chris XD
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Thanks guys for the warm welcome, I ordered the new plastics for the ARB and the new snorkel head today. Have to make it down to Tampa (where the truck is) in order to measure for the new driveshaft. Once that gets in I am bringing it up to Gainesville to work on whenever I need to get out of the house. I found a nice storage building close to my place that has 220v and plenty of space for my tools and the new parts to sit until I can install them. First order of business once she gets up here will be to clean up all the crap wiring I have managed to do over the years and fix up the little annoyances that no one else but me would ever notice... like my ECT button not working anymore... etc. Maybe I will even wash and wax it for old times... but probably not.

The fun stuff will be getting ordered beginning of November, the fiance's birthday is next month and its going to be an expensive one... so I have to hold out on a new lift and tires till then...

Chris, maybe when I get to NC in a year or two the sawzall will come out, until then...
    Kyle<br /><br /><br />2002 4Runner - Supercharged - 2.5&quot; OME Lift - ARB Air Locker - 33&quot; Nitto Terragrapplers - ARB Bull Bar - Warn 9.5xp - Light Force Lamps - Safari Snorkel - Nomad Skids - Dual Batteries - Tundra 199mm Brakes - APO Disc Brake Conversion -

Speaking of lifts... any recommendations?

For the tires I am thinking of the LTB's in a wide 33" or maybe a skinny 34", maybe some beadlocks to replace the Ivan Stewarts.

Does anyone run LED lights? My buddy has them on his truck but its a mall crawler, wondering if they are rugged enough for actual use?

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx
    I was just looking at your pictures TODAY on T4R and wondering what that thing was looking like these days!

Welcome back.
    THAT IS CREEPY B/C SAME HERE. I was showing vipergrhd what I see as a well built rig to gain inspiration from on his new to him '99.

Quote Originally Posted by RunnerUp
    ..the fiance's birthday is next month and its going to be an expensive one... so I have to hold out on a new lift and tires till then...
    SO you bought her a 3rd or 4thGen then and she wants to wheel too?

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    Welcome back Kyle!

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    That's your answer to everything Chris XD
    What can I say?! Look at my rig, of course its my answer. lol.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast