Thread: Celox severe wound dressing

Celox severe wound dressing

This is not a very good post but I have gone from the army shell bandage "$100 bandaid" to a QuickClot pad and now I think I'm moving to Celox traumua gauze.
    http://www.rescue-essentials.com/Cel..._p/20-0070.htm

This stuff is used when you are going to bleed out aka die, and thats the only time I would shove it into my body although they claim its safe enough for nose bleeds.

like I said not a very good post but I just read a ton and these things caught my eye

-made of 100% active ingredient
    -that ingredient can remain in your body with no ill effect if necessary, but it can be just flushed out with water at the hospital
    -no possibility of burning cause it dosnt work that way
    -turns into gel as it absorbs blood and causes blood that comes into contact with it to clot
    -can be used to treat bad burns as a secondary function (pretty well actually)
    -faster stopping power then QuickClot products
    -more effective then QuickClot at high altitude or when people are taking blood thinners.

and the graphic (simulations) video:

http://youtu.be/hhaJMZcywzo

from the manufacture

-Celox? works independently to body?s normal blood clotting mechanism. Unlike other hemostatic agents, it therefore continues to work when normal clotting is impaired such as in the potentially hypothermic conditions present during Medevac. It even continues to clot blood in extreme cold or when anticoagulants such as Coumadin or Heparin are present.
    -Celox? technology also has an excellent safety profile. It uses chitosan, a natural polysaccharide (complex sugar) which:
    -has over a decade of history in human clinical use in contact with blood vessels and a great long term safety profile.
    -does not generate heat, and therefore gives no risk of burning.
    -only clots the blood it comes into contact with and so does not initiate a wider or more generalised clotting response.
    -is broken down in the body by lysozyme, a human enzyme, to leave glucosamine, a sugar which is normally found in the body***.

Celox? does not use or release any fine dispersing procoagulant minerals or alumina based clays such as smectitie or kaolin, which:
    -do not have an equivalent history of human clinical use in contact with blood vessels.
    initiate a more generalised clotting response.
    -will remain in the body indefinately unless completely removed.

Re: Celox severe wound dressing

Interesting stuff... Troy I would hope that it wouldn't need to come to this point.

I have a few packs of quickclot in my bags but never needed to use it (whew). Hopefully it'll never have to happen. Any reason why you've moved onto this from quickclot?

I figure it's better than nothing unless you're wanting the best out there for trauma.
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Flashback, thanks.

Tourniquet is stil SOP though? Lance, AFAIK there's people who quickclot will not react quikly/properly enough with and there's the floating clot issue. It's been a bit, I can be entirely off base here.

It started with learning the army has moved away from the quickclot powder. I never had that stuff because the civilian version was embedded in a pad. I read a bunch of stuff trying to learn why they had changed to the new Quickclot combat gauze and read about Celox

I liked the high altitude, cold working temp and that Celox is not boosting your bodys own clotting method. That ties in with what norcal is saying about the traveling clot. Quickclot has stuff on the gauze/pad that can come loose and travel in your blood stream, possibly clotting other areas. I couldnt find any real evidence of this but its possible.

I wouldn't throw out your Quickclot since its obviously extremely good at saving lives, but the Celox has some benefits and is about the same money if you are building a new kit.

I carry the heavy duty first aid stuff for a mine exploring group since I am not carrying cameras or rope. I figure splints are available and bleeding out or just bleeding heavily is our most fixable problem preventing someone from getting to proper medical care. We are hours from medical help most of the time unfortunately.

*Never asked this of anyone here, but Troy, responder certified by chance?

just Combat Life Saver. It was developed to fill the gap between being shot and the medic getting there. As a civilian I get yearly refreshers on patching holes and CPR every few years, but I could use alot more training. In the mines mistakes pretty much mean there wont be much to work with after an accident, but I can do what I can.

Navigator

This is a cool addition to a trauma kit.. I think my certification may be expired now but I WAS certified first responder (can't remember how long the cert lasts).
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock