Thread: Melted Speaker Wires

Melted Speaker Wires

been having an intermittent problem with the radio/speakers. The radio is a very old pioneer cd headunit. Id say circa 1995 if not earlier. Speakers are boston acoustics s55.

What was happening even with the stock speakers: Id be driving along and all of the sudden the radio would cut out and a high pitched whining noise would come on. Turning off the radio and turningit back on cured the issue. Lately however the radio would cut out and only turning the truck on and off would fix it.

Enter into an even more interesting related issue: The drivers side door speaker has kept going in and out, no sound, then sound. I figured the connection was bad so I took it apart and cleaned it up. Wasnt dirty but when I plugged it back in it worked.However today it cut out and wouldnt turn back on. Upon removing the speaker I found the end piece melted (it has a part of the cone that sticks out with a tweeter thing on it (IDK the right terms lol Im not a audio guy). The capacitor was also melted as was the wiring to it.

So the stock wiring I assume is done? I find this odd since my camry was just as old and had no issues-but who knows. I rather not rewire the entire system b/c its a pain to get tot he x-cab speakers but if I gotta I gotta. Maybe the radios bad? I have a newer pioneer I never put in.

Rewire it all and new radio?? Anyone got an online place for wiring that wont break the bank?
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Navigator

Re: Melted Speaker Wires

if youre looking for cheap stereo stuff I usually use sonicelectronix.com
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

thanks, Ill give them a shot.

i second that place. They are great!

I would really look into the cause of the melted wiring. Might have melted the coil on the speaker, which drew greater current than the wire could handle.

rewire the fronts (pretty easy) and check the backs for damage at the head unit (separate plug with green and purple wires.)
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

So no idea why the wiring melted? I looked over what wiring I could see-no burn marks, frays or whatever.

I think the head unit is causing a short tbh.