Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tundra Towing Endeavour

Tundra Towing Endeavour

This should be interesting.

[img width=800 height=639]http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz219/Yota-Boy/Random%20Off-Road%20Photos/TundraEndeavour.png[/img]http://www.toyota.com/tundraendeavour/#landing

Thoughts?

Re: Tundra Towing Endeavour

I dont know how this is going to work. Is it towing it down hill? Is there a pulley system for mechanical advantage? I have no idea what limits towing capacity but I have a hard time seeing the tundra get that much mass to start moving.

very very very slowly

I don't plan to be anywhere around the route but it'll be interesting to see how this will be accomplished. Anyone one else planning to check this out in person?
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

I'm sure it will be very interesting. I'm wondering if the truck has been modified for the pull? This came up on Pirate a few weeks ago.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...-1-4-mile.html

*Chuck Norris could tow it, but the shuttle knows better than to mess with Chuck Norris.

Its a specially designed tow rig that the shuttle will sit on. Here is an excerpt from the article from AutoBlog.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoBlog
    Endeavour will be towed 12 miles from Los Angeles International Airport to the museum on October 13, and the Tundra will hitch up to the shuttle for the last quarter mile of the trip. The towing rig was made specifically for this event, allowing the full-size Tundra to pull almost 30 times its regular towing capacity. Toyota says that the truck used to tow Endeavour will be a stock V8 Tundra with no enhancements or modifications.
    by the way if anyone is going to check it out in person, I would love to get some good pictures(besides press release photos) of the Tundra pulling the shuttle. So post up!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Ever see those guys who move jumbo jets using only their two legs? Same thing. The truck only has to survive for 1/4 mile, so who cares about tow ratings.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

My thought process is with Troy on this one,

How the heck are they going to get it rolling, slowly,
    maybe if it was down hill,
    but the amount of torque needed to get the thing rolling is,
    quadruple what the Tundra can put out in 2lo,
    let alone the stress to the frame of that truck.

The other thing about the rig the Tundra is pulling, it doesn't look to much different to setups that trucks use to haul oversize loads such as the propeller for a wind turbine or a large generator, or section of a tunnel.

With that weight on those rubber tires its just insane!
    Unless the axles on that truck are riding on a system that is similar to a trail cars axles I really see the Tundra having a tough time getting off the line.

I like how on pirate the debate went instantly to what is more american, honestly I could give to farts what company did it, when most of our products are made in mexico or china, I just go, "As long as it works its good"

I would love to be there to see this actually done, it would be a very interesting site to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    Ever see those guys who move jumbo jets using only their two legs? Same thing. The truck only has to survive for 1/4 mile, so who cares about tow ratings.
    That makes another question come up, why are they using this special tow rig to move the shuttle?
    Why not use its own rolling stock and tow it like any other plan is towed on a tarmac?

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    That makes another question come up, why are they using this special tow rig to move the shuttle?
    Why not use its own rolling stock and tow it like any other plan is towed on a tarmac?
    The special towing rig can move in many different directions including side to side so that the shuttle can dodge buildings and power poles etc, since this will be towed on urban city streets through Inglewood and Los Angeles.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast