Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: End of an era? Jetta Sportwagen might be the replacement

Re: End of an era? Jetta Sportwagen might be the replacement

A friend at work just bought a little 2012 2-door golf cart TDI... after reading this I feel for him!

Don't do it, Bob!

Not sure about the new fusion, but my friends dad has an 00 focus with like 180k on it that so far has only needed basic work and a heater core. he has been super happy with it.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Not sure about the new fusion, but my friends dad has an 00 focus with like 180k on it that so far has only needed basic work and a heater core. he has been super happy with it.
    the older focuses were simpler cars than the new fords are. Those things are just basic no over the top electronics cars.. Now with MyTouch (the most convoluted vehicle system I've ever had the displeasure of using) there is so much stuff that can break, and I'm not sure I trust Ford to not screw that up (especially since it's powered by Microsoft). Just be sure to go on an EXTENDED test drive of any Ford you think you want to purchase, because after the focus I drove a couple weeks ago I wouldn't want to own one. (that is the crappiest auto transmission I have ever used!)
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Looks like I need to PM Bob. I think his UY account was hacked.

All kidding aside. We have some close friends with a 2011 Jetta TDI wagon. They like it a lot. I have to say it's quite comfortable and has much more interior room than our Forester. There is some turbo lag but it does get up to speed. There are some things here and there that I don't like but it seems all new cars share similar traits. Things like a cheap feel in the interior as well as the fit and finish of things like buttons and levers. Most stuff nowadays seems to be made of toy plastic and glue.

They are a VW family and have had at least one for close to 25 years. They currently own the wagon and a 2010 GTI. Both are sharp look cars.
    I have heard these types of stories...

My dad has a 2002 TDI golf which has 200K miles and hasn't done a thing to it.
    Cupholder Mod

Quote Originally Posted by mastacox
    All I can say be very wary of any VW's known issues... I was a huge proponent of the TDI until we started having trouble with our 2006 Jetta TDI; when the sh*t hits the fan in a TDI it does it for real... in the course of about 6 weeks we've had (no exaggeration):
    Look hard before you leap into the TDI arena, take for example on 2009's+ the possiblely very expensive problem with the high-pressure fuel pump, which may in some circumstances implode and spray metal shavings throughout the entire fuel system: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854. Fixes may be covered while under warrantee but all bets are off after warrantee expires (which is only what, 60k?)
    ...and then i've heard of these stories too. Thats what makes buying a VW such a somewhat risky proposition.

Brian:

I remember you writing a few years ago how much you liked your Jetta TDI and now this?!? That is some crazy nutty nonsense. I know my coworker's gas Jetta had some similar problems too that expensive problems occurred one after the other. Yours is really extreme though.

Its really hit and miss it seems based on what I've read above. Ken, what's the main beef with TDIs? I know the common rail injection thing was a big deal when it came out, but it is definitely a departure from the traditional pre combustion chamber design like my old biodiesel Benz.

Speaking of, I pulled up to a 300TD (same year) the other day and rolled down the window to hear that clackety clackety diesel sound. Was music to my ears, though mine was definitely running smoother than his!

Ok, digression aside, what I would probably do is sell the BMW too and then sell the 4Runner last. The BMW is a play car and needs A/C and 5 speed swap to make it truly a DDriver.

Going to VW dealership today after work to peruse...

@Bob What happened to your MB?
    Cupholder Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Good Times
    Have you looked at the Venza?

O btw, once the 4runner is up and running (hint hint, wanna help me? haha), you're welcome to use it since I got to use your 4runner (and pull a RV out!) hehe. Don't forget you can always drive David's 80series Land Cruiser too!
    Venza: nope. I think Toyota's SUV space is really crowded with a bunch of models that can't differentiate themselves (at least in my head). I'd pass on this.

Your 4runner: sweet. To make things whole, once repaired, I'll find something stuck in mud and pull it out!

Quote Originally Posted by jrallan26
    @Bob What happened to your MB?
    Sold it to buy the BMW

I had been a fan of our TDI until we had to blow through our savings to fix all of these problems with it... but it could be I'm bitter

The thing that I don't like most about the TDI (and DSG), other than the major mechanical failures we've had all at the same time, are its very specific short-interval unforgiving maintenance requirements. The DSG fluid service is something that has to be done by a shop, the oil changes are risky to have done by a shop and have special oil that's necessary if you want to hold off early cam failures, etc. etc.

If you're looking at getting a TDI get one with lower miles to retain some factory warranty, get an extended warrantee if it's under $2000 and covers everything engine and powertrain related (including exhaust, internals, etc.), get a manual transmission (you've already said this), and get one that's a later model year of the build.

In my opinion, it seems the 2006's have problems because they're the first year of the MK5 engine/transmission combo. Dual-mass flywheel issues, EGR cooler leaks, cam lobe wear issues, and rear brake issues were all known problems when we bought this vehicle in 2008, and now we've had 3/4 come to fruition. I want to hope cams aren't next, but our track record is not that great so far.

Similarly, the 2009 is a new engine again, and now from what I'm seeing has a few recurring issues. HPFP failures being the main one I've heard about (and very expensive to fix, around $5k-7k without warrantee coverage through dealership since it destroys all of the fuel system when it goes...).

Just do a lot of research before you buy, and don't buy because the mileage will save you money. I would rather have bought another daily driver for me with the $4k we've spent in repairs on this one.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast