Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower control arm install coming soon

Lower control arm install coming soon

Hi guys,

After asking a few members like SeanOrz and GlenYoshida on the pains of changing out the Lower control arms and bushings as well as doing several looks at cost analysis, I've decided on purchasing OEM control arms and doing the install itself. So in rough numbers, this is how I arrived at my decision. This does not include alignment.

Scenario 1: Mechanic installed OEM LCAs
    $780 for parts and labor. I am assuming he probably got his parts for cheaper than me, so I guesstimate that parts was about $300 and $480 for labor

Scenario 2: Bob installed OEM LCAs
    Toyota of Newnan, GA had the lowest cost for parts + shipping. $165 x 2 = $330 + $30 shipping. $360 in parts. Taking this approach, I will be saving $420 on labor

Scenario 3: Bob installed OEM LCA Bushings
    Most places are selling the Toyota OEM bushings for $40 each and require a press to push them into the LCAs. The press is needed and this was confirmed by both Sean and Glen. Well, this isn't the only hard part. Rust may prevent an easy removal of the eccentric bolt (My Mercedes was the same but not bad); removing the LCAs themselves require that you loosen the steering rack to allow for LCA removal, removing the bushings require a little heat and persuasion says Glen (doable), etc, etc. So taking this route would be about $40 x 4 = $160 + $10 shipping = $170. This is definitely labor intensive and requires a press, so while I'd be saving $610 over my mechanic's price and $190 over my self-installed LCA bushing, that $190 in parts savings is not significant enough to go through the trouble performing the bushing swap work.

Let me tell you first hand what happens when your LCAs go to hell: your steering becomes wobbly, the wheel will shake rapidly back and forth, and alignment is next to impossible. So impossible that your dealership will crank those adjustment bolts to the far reaches of what is normal. So I have put on a few thousand miles on tires I bought maybe 6 months ago (Coopers) and they look half worn as compared to the rear tires. Yes, so what I'm saying is that in my "Oh its no big deal" cheapness, I may have killed half the useful life of my tires
    Only another $300 to replace those two front tires---its just f'g money right?!?

Oh by the way, the Cooper Aventurerrerereerrrr tires are the cat's meow. I really like them, they are quiet and did well in Pismo.

Re: Lower control arm install coming soon

good choice bob.

I don't remember having to loosen the rack for the lca bolts to come out, but I think I did my rack bushings at the same time so I had it loose anyway.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

yah thats what i read in a few threads on other forums and glen confirmed that the eccentric bolt or sleeve (maybe im confusing bolts here---know when I get there) that one is too long to remove without swinging the rack out of the way.

on another note: i did the poly bushing steering rack bolts a looooong time ago, still haven't finished that writeup. jeez, years behind!

once done swapping, I'll take out the old bushings and sell the bare nekkid LCAs. maybe we can keep it all in the UY community and the next person would get a set of LCAs sans bushings.

Navigator

I may be interested in your LCA's once you do this Bob.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    I may be interested in your LCA's once you do this Bob.
    Crinale,

Ok, cool. I'll keep you in mind.

how bad are your arms? If you can wait you can pick up some used OEM on TTORA for $30ish off a tacoma or 4runner that has been sased. Or try some junk yard arms.

Edit: I think tacoma might have bigger LBJ

Troy:

I've had 2 mechanics say "you should replace your LCAs". I've shaken them too, bushings are worn. Like I said above, the alignment dudes maxed out the alignment and my tires are about 1/2 worn after only 2-3 months. you can imagine how pissed i get when i get into my 4runner these days for being a dumb cheap ass

I'll check to see if the LCA part numbers are the same. I'll check out TTORA for spare LCAs. good thought, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    Edit: I think tacoma might have bigger LBJ
    Taco's do have a larger LBJ, but will fit a 4Runner as long as you also use the Tacoma outer TRE. This will cause a decrease in turning radius. You can get some of that back if you trim the mount for the sway bar end links. Or chop 'em off if you don't run them anyways... might get all your turning radius back then. [Note: I'm running Taco LBJ and outer TRE.]

Fenrisx,

Ok good info, I had no idea. I'll pass on the the Taco LCAs then based on your info.

Interesting, I didn't know that! Thanks for confirming that Cody!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast