Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MAF Cleaning - What brand of cleaner?

Re: MAF Cleaning - What brand of cleaner?

for brakes: whoever has the big can, cheap and on sale. usually gunk.

i have only found MAF cleaner at kragen.
    i use liquid electrical contact cleaner (w/a swab) directly on it. i can see all the residue removed too. brand escapes me but it was from an electronics store (MG?)
    [quote author=Euphorickaty80 link=topic=575.msg3747#msg3747 date=1175627780]<br />I was alot of fun to build.[/quote]

Thanks for all the info guys, hopefully this help some of those who are trying to do this.

For informations sake, here is a link to the Write-Up on 4x4Wire.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html

Fink

- Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Turns out my Wal-Mart carries the same stuff you use Jamie. I bought a can and went over to ADH8796's place and we both cleaned our MAF's. Mine was pretty dirty.

One question, on mine, there was like an orange transistor looking thing that would have been directly in the air flow path but then inside the little MAF holder thing I could see the wires that are pictured on 4x4Wire. I just cleaned both and let it dry.

I had never seen any pics showing the little orange LED looking thing that is on mine so I'm hoping it didn't hurt to spray that with cleaner. It was WAY dirtier than the little wires, I am assuming because the wires are deep inside the MAF holder thing and this little LED looking thing, which I am assuming is the actual sensor was BLACK on the intake side and clean on the other side so I cleaned it up and sprayed the wires a little bit too.

Maybe this is a newb question but I had never seen that before.

Thanks for all your help guys,

Fink

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
    Quote Originally Posted by gpcollen
    I saw something at an Autozone recently that was an actual MAF sensor cleaner. Maybe it was at NAPA...but dont remember the brand.
    CRC actually makes a MAF sensor cleaner but I've never seen it sold anywhere nor have I tried it.
    If some one has and knows where it's sold, post up.

This is the stuff I used last time. Worked like a charm.

It didn't cost $33; it was about $6 IIRC, similar to brake kleen...
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

mastacox, where did you find that stuff?

Fink

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
    mastacox, where did you find that stuff?

Fink
    I got it at Checker (might be Kragen over there).
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Turns out my Wal-Mart carries the same stuff you use Jamie. I bought a can and went over to ADH8796's place and we both cleaned our MAF's. Mine was pretty dirty.

One question, on mine, there was like an orange transistor looking thing that would have been directly in the air flow path but then inside the little MAF holder thing I could see the wires that are pictured on 4x4Wire. I just cleaned both and let it dry.

I had never seen any pics showing the little orange LED looking thing that is on mine so I'm hoping it didn't hurt to spray that with cleaner. It was WAY dirtier than the little wires, I am assuming because the wires are deep inside the MAF holder thing and this little LED looking thing, which I am assuming is the actual sensor was BLACK on the intake side and clean on the other side so I cleaned it up and sprayed the wires a little bit too.

Maybe this is a newb question but I had never seen that before.

Thanks for all your help guys,

Fink
    Fink, those are all part of the MAF sensor, but they all have different functions.

That "LED" looking thing is the intake temperature sensor shown here:

The actual air flow meausring portion are the 2 wires so often shown in the pics:

The brake cleaner or MAF sensor cleaner should have damaged either one.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

The brake cleaner or MAF sensor cleaner should have damaged either one.
    You mean...should NOT have damaged, lol.

Fink

You mean...should NOT have damaged, lol.

Fink
    LOL.....it's been a long day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast