Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holcomb Creek, Big Bear 10-21-2012

Holcomb Creek, Big Bear 10-21-2012

Troy and I ran up to BB today to try out the recently (1.5 years ago) reopened Holcomb Creek Trail.

Starting at 3n16, 3n93 heads easterly starting with a rock garden. This has gotten much more difficult than when I ran it back in '07. The Gatekeeper is unreasonably difficult, and not a good representation of what the rest of the trail offers. Troy made it through OK, but I got hung up on my underbelly. After jacking up the truck and stacking rocks, I used Troy's truck as an anchor and winched myself forward to avoid breaking drive-train components.

On my slider:

Rock garden:

After that, it was pretty smooth sailing from there. A bit of trail, then another rock garden. Some were only a few feet long, others were a few hundred yards long. I didn't get many more pictures from there, except for Troy showing off his mad skillz:

During the course of the trail, I used every single piece of armor. Dented the rear bumper, smashed the front skid plate, scraped paint on the front bumper, and so much slider carnage! also managed to tag the gas tank skid, t-case skid, all the cross members, and my rear diff. IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!! This is the first hard-core trail I have done in a long time, it was nice to get back on some rocks!

That being said, this trail is nothing like I remember it. Much of it has changed, and maybe i had rose tinted glasses from 5 years ago. Regardless, the trail is a lot of fun, and was very clean. MJR has done a great job on refurbishing the trail and adding rock gardens and obstacles. Maybe just add some more passing spots so we don't have to back up 1/4 of a mile to let some Jeeps by!

Whole album: http://s955.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Creek%202012/

Thanks again Troy for letting me use your Hi-lift, your bumper as an anchor, and your rock stacking skills! Good times!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Holcomb Creek, Big Bear 10-21-2012

Great time! Thanks for inviting me Sean! That was my first time on that trail. The artificial rock gardens have no doubt changed the feel of a easy trail to one that requires attention. Looking on the sides of the trail you can see the hundreds of man hours it took to get this trail open again by MJR. I will have to thank those guys when I see them next. You can see an example of their work here:
    http://www.myjeeprocks.com/aat/2010/...ork-day-recap/

The Seanzors on rock attack like a veteran!:

[img width=800 height=600]http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/troyboy162/holcomecreek023.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/troyboy162/holcomecreek015.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/troyboy162/holcomecreek009.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww234/troyboy162/holcomecreek003.jpg[/img]

No invite?? Next time let me know...I really miss that trail, and would love to try it in my less tippy 3rd gen
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

next time for sure marc. it was kindof a last minute thing. I'll plan a run for the spring!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

That looks like fun. It's always nice to hear armour is getting used. That and that the trails are clean and taken care of.

I know Troy is running 35's but did he every do the flat belly mods? Sean was you getting caught on your belly a lack of 35's thing or your line? I've got belly skids that protect to the rear cross member and onto the gas tank skid. They are pretty high up so they don't get hit much but just wondered on your case.

Looks like you guys had fun! I'm bummed that I missed it. It would have been great to see you again Troy.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I dragged frame over the obstical and needed to turn on the front locker. My tanks is moved and I cut off the tank crossmember. The belly isn't flat but I have skid plates to the end of the transfer case and nothing beyond that that can catch other then the link mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Looks like you guys had fun! I'm bummed that I missed it. It would have been great to see you again Troy.
    Yeah I thought you were coming, but I knownhow it is

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    I dragged frame over the obstical and needed to turn on the front locker. My tanks is moved and I cut off the tank crossmember. The belly isn't flat but I have skid plates to the end of the transfer case and nothing beyond that that can catch other then the link mounts.
    Wait, "turned on the front locker" and "moved tank". Sounds like you've had some work done. I know you had been talking about moving the tank up then the f150 tank but I didn't know you went ahead with it. What front locker are you running? Factory CV's? This must be why you were posting up about the Lotus CV's.

Its a arb with OEM CV's. I think it saves more cv's then it breaks. I have broken more with it but its due to where I go now. Kinda like how mud terrain tires lead to body damage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast