Thread: Wheel cap paint

Wheel cap paint

Guys,

Couldn't stand looking at my cracked and faded wheel caps any longer, so I tried out 3 different shades of silver before finding a pretty close match. Pic attached.

We'll see if I did it right, but read a few posts all over the internets and this is the basic steps you need to take:

1) Clean with some kind of degreaser. I used Simple Green to start and also with an aerosol Wax & Grease remover (pictured)
    2) If you have cracks or areas where paint has clearly fallen off, sand down the areas where the remaining paint and the faded areas meet (ridges). This is purely optional, I didn't do this step.
    3) Spray with any kind of plastic primer or primer specially made for plastic adhesion. Light coats. I did 3 light coats
    4) 3 light coats of paint
    5) 3 light coats of clear coat

A note on spray painting: I've learned over the years how important it is to stick with the mfg's recommendations for paint curing. Follow them, esp advice on timing in between the coats. On clear coats: lighter coats, the better. And follow the time limits on 2nd and 3rd coats.

I'll post pics later, but its a pretty close match. I couldn't find a perfect match, but then again, the wheel paint on the wheel itself I'm sure has faded a bit too.

Bob

Re: Wheel cap paint

I think I've got it here on UY somewhere. I found an almost (99.5%) exact paint that holds up and doesn't need a clear coat. I use Dupli-color High Performance Wheel Coating. The color code is WP101, Silver. I didn't bother keeping the Toyota emblem a different color so I just bomb the entire cap.

oh nice, thanks for updating w/ color code. yah i didnt try to paint the logo either, too much trouble for something that gets dirty easily

Thanks will be checking into the dupli color for the new 80 series we just got, it needs new wheel caps in a bad way, but this could get me by for now.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

i was so sick of looking at the ugly faded caps, i took 'em off and they've been off for over a year now- the black hubs have grown on me, but may give this a try with the WP101 paint...
    1996 SR5 4Runner
    3.4 5speed 4x4 165k

It appears that the Wheel Coating only comes in a couple of colors.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/wheelCoating/

I don't use the clear but this is what Duplicolor says to do: http://duplicolor.anthonythomas.com/...wto_wheel.html

I didn't bother trying to match mine. I just hit it with a few coats of Rust-O-Leum Hammered..

Not for everyone, but I like it.