Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird chirpy noise

weird chirpy noise

So.. I recently had my LBJ, and inner/outer TRE's replaced. I was also going to have the steering rack bushings replaced because my mechanic said he'd probably not charge me because it wouldn't take long.. but he didn't realize he'd have to drop the steering rack... so he ended up only replacing one of them. Oh..and I had new tires installed...

Since then I've got this weird noise coming from up front.. it happens when I close the front doors (sometimes the back door will make it happen as well), and over bumps (notice it at low speed, can't really hear it at high speeds over all the other noises).

I'm not attributing it to anything the mechanic did necessarily... that's just the timing of it. So, don't let what work I had done limit your answers! Any ideas, fellas?

4Runner Chirp

Re: weird chirpy noise

mine does or did that. not sure what it was or if it still does it, i'll have to check.

in the mean time, wipe down your door gaskets with silicone spray, as well as the door latches on the door jambs. also the rubber gaskets around the hood as well as the hood bumpers.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Does it happen when you shake the car, or just with the door?
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Just went out, as said in chat, and did the 'ol shake test. No chirps when rocking the truck side to side.

Mine used to do that. It was the lower part of the radiator or condensor that rubbed on something. I could never find what it was but it would do it on bumpy roads and when I closed the door. It wasn't as loud as yours but it was there. After jumping the truck around at Pismo it went away. The radiator and condensor kind of float in a cage and I think my noise was the cage or mounting points of it or part of the system.

Hmm. I don't think I'll be able to make it out to Pismo to jump my truck anytime soon. Maybe I'm SOL.

If my factory skidplate isn't tight, mine makes that same sound.

Get underneath it and start hitting everything with your fist or a big rubber mallet. Something is loose and it'll probably show up when you hit it. For me, it was my spare tire on my 4th gen.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Sway bar end links, although the designs different mine used to make this clattering over bumps and when you shut the door. Replaced the endlinks good to go.

Id also second stevs advice too.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Sway bar end links, although the designs different mine used to make this clattering over bumps and when you shut the door. Replaced the endlinks good to go.

Id also second stevs advice too.
    I'm running without end links up front.

I'm going to check the radiator.. between Mike mentioning it here, and someone OTF saying their bolts being loose caused the exact same noise.. hopefully thats it. I'll check the skid as well, although I only have the front portion of the factory skid left.. the flat part was ripped off a few years back. Third on the list will be going to town with a rubber mallet underneath the truck.

Hopefully I can report back this weekend with good news! Thanks for the advice so far fellas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast