Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weird chirpy noise

Re: weird chirpy noise

Quote Originally Posted by Nates_NW4Runner View Post
    Let us know if it works.
    Update: Chirpy chirp chirp is fixed.

Popped the hood.. was banging on the top of the radiator.. and the part in front of the radiator that runs side-to-side (noted by orange arrow).. whenever doing this it would make the chirpy noise. Whenever I'd press on either one, and hit the other, the noise would go away. So, I thought it was the radiator loose.

That was not the case... turned out to be the bracket that holds the battery that was loose. The bolt on the back (noted by red arrow) snugged up, and chirp was gone. I don't think it was necessarily the bracket making the noise, more so than the bracket not being super snug allowed more movement on the piece noted by the orange arrow.

Side note: Crawled under the truck while I was out there, and noticed the poor weld job Midas did on my muffler was worse than I thought. Where they welded some extra pipe to make the muffler fit (since it was shorter than stock) isn't fully welds, and is spurting a little condensation and exhaust gas. The condensation is the only reason I noticed, and felt to see if the exhaust gases were leaking.

Possibly jumped the gun on this...doesn't squeak when closing doors or banging on the radiator anymore, but I'm still hearing it over some bumps a few miles later.

Something shock/coil related?
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4L Auto

Quote Originally Posted by rworegon
    Something shock/coil related?
    Perhaps. Although, it is the same chirp noise as in the video, it is just limited to happening over certain bumps now... instead of most bumps & when I close the doors/hood. When I was trying to pinpoint the noise earlier today it sounded like it was coming from around the radiator area, not so much the coils. I suspect it probably is the radiator as before.

In addition to the radiator and radiator shield, maybe a bolt on the bumper, chassis, fuse box, skid plate, etc. is loose.
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4L Auto

Checked the steering wheel boot at the firewall yet? Mine as well as the work Tacoma did this until I replaced them.

Also take silicone spray (IIRC it's ok to use around the body/frame mounts) and spray liberally to see if it stops. Do similar for the torsion bar and links. I had to go as far as to remove and relube my two main torsion bar frame mounts last week b/c of all the dust intrusion.

**NEVERMIND** Just turn the stereo up more.

I forgot to also list the hood hinge grommets. Mine are completely dry, almost like plastic now and they'd chirp over the slightest thing until I chipped them away from the hinge.

I got this same exact noise as im driving through residential roads (also cant tell at higher speeds because of road noise and exhaust)... Ive gone around searching for the noise hitting everthing possible that I can reach. Still no luck on locating the chirping. Its been bugging me for 2 years now. Some days seems louder than others. Just been doing what Obi.. said, turn the music up louder . Would still like to solve this mysterious chirping though.
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

Ohh yeah, there is one thing I havent checked, and thats the exhaust flange doughnut from the downpipes to the cat.
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12