Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Misfire Cyls 2 & 5- Injectors?

Re: Misfire Cyls 2 & 5- Injectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    Buy the guy whatever case of booze he wants. Smart and experienced machanics are a rare find these days.
    Good call, I'm going to have to do this.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

witch hunter performance will rebuild them for 20 bucks brian. I had them do a set of injectors for a ford truck and it was well worth the money! Cause buying a new injector (if you gotta) is stupid expensive.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Obi..
    Cool to hear. Buy the guy whatever case of booze he wants. Smart and experienced machanics are a rare find these days. Too many "Techs" out there that are only "Screen Reading Button Pushing Parts Changers".
    x2 on that!

Glad to hear the problem is being narrowed down. Code gremlins are annoying buggers.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

mastacox whats up man, havent been around in a rather long time. I too am told to get rid of the toyota ecu and go with a stand alone. Might have to have it tuned by a shop on a dyno, but its well worth it. When I can find someone in Arizona that can do this that I can also trust. The Underdog ECU crap will be out in a heartbeat.

BTW: how you guys all doing?
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

Have you guys ever tuned a standalone? Tuning for power at WOT is easy, but getting the idle, cold start and normal driveability down is really time consuming. I won't even mention emissions issues or the fact that you could no longer drop the truck off at a mechanic if it doesn't run right. That could be disastrous on a long trip.

I agree standalone would be a hard thing to accomplish, and it would be expensive too. The guy says the best way to accomplish standalone would be a full on-board logging solution, e.g. FULL logging of RPM, MAP, O2, fuel trims, timing, etc. The thing holding me back more than anything is the road legality and sellability, plus the work I guess.

I'm more interested in going to a "better" piggyback solution that can use wideband O2 input for fuel trims. The PerfectPower SMT-8 might be a possibility, but I haven't gotten my courage up enough to try it yet. Maybe next decade
    Brian
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Personally, I would ditch those Bosch injectors and go back to the stock injectors. (Even though you have to change your injector clips back.) I have never had good luck with Bosch anything and it's possible that one or more injectors are giving you problems anyway. Pick up the URD 7th injector setup...it's just way simpler to tune--let the stock ECU and injectors take care of everything and you can just pull a bit of timing at low RPMs and add fuel where you need it in open loop.

I know it would be a painful move considering all of the work you've done at this point, but it might take care of your misfire problem as well as your tuning issues in one shot.

brian,

great news on the injectors. time to buy some of the same injector cleaner as you did.

Run a LOT of it, maybe 3 bottles over 3 tanks or so and see if it helps. You can also get a shop to swap an injector position pretty easily.

You might also run premium fuel if you don't already to see if it helps; this can help rule out a timing issue.
    Brian

Brian,

Bought two bottles of Chevron injector cleaner. In a half a tank, I dumped the whole 20oz of that stuff in the tank. Within 5 minutes of driving back from the tire shop for the alignment, there was a "kunk" sound and the check engine light went off. The engine ran a little more smoothly after that but still i can tell its not perfect. However driving back from the gym, the light went on and a little bit of the annoying stumbling came back on. Arghhhh (not the sound of a pirate, but of frustration). So on my way back from the gym, I flipped a beotch and stopped at Autozone and bought some Seafoam too. I plan to run about 1/4 to 1/2 bottle through the PCV valve hose and smoke out the neighborhood tomorrow night (my ass is too tired tonight). After I go through the remaining 1/2 tank of gas, I plan to refill it to 1/2 and run the remaining Seafoam again through, this time through the gas tank.

If all this fails, I plan to remove the plenum and remove the offending injectors (2 of them) and send them to the witch hunter guy. $21 per injector plus $10 shipping back to you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast