Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen love, 5th gen junk?

I realized right after I posted, but you beat me to the posting Sean.

The Equinox was good, the 4Runner marginal, this Pilot, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPBd108Sfc

POOR
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Wow, I'll take back seat middle (feet on the hump) in the pilot.

I love how the 4th gen just bounces off and gets airborn. Although I thought they had side curtain air bags...

Side curtain only deploys when deemed necessary by the computer.

The small overlap (5th gen and Pilot I posted) cause a pretty large rotation in the vehicle, setting off the side air bags. When my father was rear ended a couple of years ago, he got caught on the right rear corner, much like these small offset crashes. His right side curtain deployed (actually what ended up totalling the car was the price of the airbags).

I personally think they should always deploy because if you watch these small offset crashes, most injury is caused by the dummy missing the front airbag and contacting the A pillar or door. Even a significant gap between the bags will allow the head to enter that space. They really should meet to contain the body within the seat area.

The 3rd and 4th gens appeared to have held-up well.

I went to Toyota yesterday to order some random trim parts for the 4Runner and had about 45 minutes of time to kill. I didn't see anything on Toyota's lot that even interested me enough to walk over to it, with the exception of a gray 2014 Tacoma double cab that was fitted with all kinds of TRD accessories. Price reflected such, it was $38,000. I looked at the 5th gen but no part of it was appealing at all to me. I'm not in the market for anything anyway.
    Last edited by paddlenbike; 04-10-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    This is just for you Avy! lol

yuck.
    One of these was parked down my street the other day. Makes me thankful for my stock chrome bumper on my '98... Seriously ugly.

I just saw a couple of these on base and they are truly......bleh. It looks ok from the quarter panels back but it looks like a 4runner got in a fight with an AMC gremlin in the front. The Toyota dealer constantly annoys me every time I roll on the lot with the 3rd Gen. Not sure this will happen if someome gets a 5th gen.

stamped and snail mailed
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Today Yahoo had an article called "8 Good Designs Gone Bad." I wasn't surprised at all to see the 5th gen as one of the eight.

"Not to say that the previous generation (4th Gen) Toyota 4Runner was a looker, but it was at least it was a little more subtle than this. A new face and edgy new panels can’t make this aging off-roader any more appealing in the looks department. We can attest to its off-road capabilities first hand, but we can’t ignore those ghastly looks."

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I wonder what they would say about the 2014+, which is far more hideous than what is pictured.

Source: https://autos.yahoo.com/news/8-good-...120008873.html

After seeing the crash tests I might look into getting rid of the Scion xb for the family rig and step into a 4th gen 4runner. The gas mileage isn't that much worse and it looks safer too.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast