Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen love, 5th gen junk?

3rd gen love, 5th gen junk?

I have read some really awful things about the 5th gen 4Runners, but one thing is clear, even 16 years after the 3rd gen started production, people are still raving about what a good truck it is. So read these 3rd gen reviews:
    http://www.cars.com/toyota/4runner/1...sumer-reviews/

and now read what people are saying about their brand-spankin' new 5th gen 4Runners:
    http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/4runne...r-reviews.html

Usually people's automotive satisfaction drops as cars age and start to show signs of mechanical trouble or general neglect, but in this case, it's the new ones getting the poor reviews.

Re: 3rd gen love, 5th gen junk?

They really don't make them like they used to!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I love my 3rd gen, it has its quirks and needs its repairs but I still love it.
    I love the 5th gens, plan on buying one sometime in the future.

To each their own, I am not going to rant an rave, thats for a few friends and a few beers, but its amazing how nit picky people today are, but honestly I don't feel your going to find anything from any manufactured made the way the used to...

^^ That last statement is true. We had a really difficult time trying to find a brand new car that didn't have a stream of customer complaints. It appeared to us that new Ford and Honda owners were happiest.

I kind of like the 5th gen, but only the trail edition. The 5th gen has those massive, cheap looking bumpers, but the black trim on the trail edition helps break that up. I also don't like the rear end design...none of the body lines seem to flow together, but I figured a tire carrier would help cover that up.

I think Toyota is still capable of offering great vehicles, it's just that they don't offer very many of them in the States. I'm in the Philippines right now, and there are tons of Hilux and Fortuners running around. In my mind, the Fortuner should have been sold in the United States as the successor to the 3rd gen. It's not much larger, has a body on frame construction with solid rear axle and IFS, 2.5 or 3.0 D4D diesel engine (on most...there are a few 2.7 gas ones as well), plus they look really nice! The front end looks to be very similar to the Hilux.

I love my 3rd gen as well, but I'd consider a 4th or 5th gen, or maybe a Taco or 100 series for my next vehicle.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Navigator

Just looked up the Fortuner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Fortuner

Looks like an interesting vehicle, kinda like a 3rd gen 4runner sized Sequoia with a Hilux front.

Have you had a chance to check out the suspension? I'd be curious if it used a rear 5 link setup like the 4runner and front coils, or since it was made for ultra low cost if it used leafs in the rear and torsions in the front (or other combination thereof.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Navigator

Nevermind, just looked it up, looks like they use a coilover front semi similar (but not interchangeable) to the Tacoma/4runner, and they use an even more compact 4-link rear suspension than the 4runners.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Yeah, they use a 4-link. The rear overhang seems a bit shorter than a 3rd gen, but they still managed to fit a spare tire under there. I'm not sure how they did that, but maybe they relocated the panhard bar or something.

I just noticed this on the wiki link you posted:

"In Japan, the Fortuner is badged as the Toyota Fortuner Sport or Lexus FX460. The Fortuner has a 4.6 L twin turbocharged with intercooler engine, producing a 418 kW (560 bhp) and 718 N?m (530 lbf?ft). It accelerates 0?100 km/h (0?62 mph) in 4.6 seconds through an 8 speed transmission. It has 8 airbags, park assist and cruise control. The car has brembo 16.4 inch brake discs front and rear with a five Pirelli Pezero Tires, light weight black coated rims and air suspension. The audio system has 15 speakers for 3D surround sound. The video system has a single 13.2 inch LCD at the front and two 15.5 inch LCDs mounted in the headrests for the rear passengers. The four seats have a massage feature and auto adjustment. The rear seat can be adjusted backwards to a curve angle of 160?."

Factory twin turbo 4.6!? I wonder how accurate that article is. Would be awesome if true.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

It sort of looks like an RX300 on steroids. This is WAY closer to something I would be interested in than anything I have seen in the States. The D4D diesel would be cool too. Sign me up for one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    It sort of looks like an RX300 on steroids.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw it

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast