Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen love, 5th gen junk?

Re: 3rd gen love, 5th gen junk?

so the 5th gen 4Runners (N285 Series) also have the cracks despite the frame reinforcement made by Toyota? not looking good Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    It is a problem on both the 120 (4th gen) and 150 (Prado/4Runner) chassis.
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj-cruiser/2...der-crack.html
    Desert Dune Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185W SSR-G l 3.0L TDI<br />&quot;DRIVE YOUR DREAMS&quot;

Navigator

Re: 3rd gen love, 5th gen junk?

Just wheel it til it cracks, then build an engine cage and wheel it til something else breaks.. haha.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Saw this online and almost fell out of my chair laughing.

I saw one in blue, it is amazing looking! I actually don't mind the new front end in person.

I saw a dark grey one and it was meh.

And I like Domo. He chases kittens!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I saw some SEMA pics, companies are trying to fix that front end but it's not easy!

In general, covering that mug is probably best.

UGH! no thanks...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Wow, how timely. I was just going to post about this.

I finally saw one of those on the road yesterday. At first I only saw it from the back and the first thing I thought was "Oh, a lifted 5th gen...looks good". Then I saw the front and had to take a double take. It took me a while to realize what it was because, holy cow was it ugly. I usually reserve judgement on new looks because every new generation looks bad to the old generation, but no, it really is ugly.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I see them everyday at work...I like them, but it took a while. It was the same for me with the 4th gens. I still think the 2nd and 3rd gens are the best looking, but the 3.0 sucks and the 3.4 is not a lot better. At this point I think the 4th gens are the best...they have a way better motor, more room, and tons of aftermarket support.
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

Quote Originally Posted by Marc P View Post
    I see them everyday at work...I like them, but it took a while.
    Would you date/marry a girl that took you a while to get used to her looks? I wouldn't.

Now, let's forget for a minute that I just bought an ugly Nissan Leaf; we're talking about SUVs here. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    Would you date/marry a girl that took you a while to get used to her looks? I wouldn't.

Now, let's forget for a minute that I just bought an ugly Nissan Leaf; we're talking about SUVs here. :-)
    That would depend on whether the SUV was dependable or not.

But you're not going to see me in a gremlin just because someone transplanted a 22r under the hood either.

I think Toyota is making their jobs a lot harder than it has to be. Too many new engines and drivetrains out there. Toyota is in a developmental stage in their designs. They have for the first time really started making big vehicles. We can take the 3rd gen 4runner vs the 5th gen just for a quick comparison but Toyota only needs a gen or two with a new engine design to create another 22re/3rz/2tr line up where perfection is the name of the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast