Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Valley Panamint Tour 20121110-11 Report

Death Valley Panamint Tour 20121110-11 Report

lots to write and pics to put up so I will work on this over a few days....

What a crazy trip! I appreciated everyone being patient with my mechanical issues and lack of solid planning in the week prior to the event. In a nut shell...there was way too much to see in such a small time. DV is big and exploration is warranted almost on every square inch. The trips initial intent was a loop of the Pananmint range. That quickly became a tour of the western slops only and ended up not even putting a dent in that narrowed focus.

Thursday night bonus round:
    -Abandoned Airforce base/ prison
    This place was awesome! The entire base is there and open to exploration. You really could spend a whole day there, but we raced through the highlights in a couple hours. The base was converted to a prison before being abandoned and it very intact. There is very little spray paint and buildings remain in fairly good condition with a few exceptions. Nothing really wild was uncovered in the time we had but I think with another trip there will be cool finds here.

Friday:
    -Ridecrest scouting
    Headed in RIdgecrest to take a look at a few mines for scouting purposes. This all proved to be for nothing since they were all bat gated even far from town, but a bad day mine exploring is still a great day.

UE's finest...Mike and Dave

-Trona pinnacles
    Right before sundown we made it to the famous Trona Pinnacles. It is the weirdest place I have ever seen. It dosnt take much imagination to feel like you are on another planet.

-Camping spot change
    The camp spot proved to be incorrect. The old 4x4 trail listed on topo maps is closed and long since washed away. Not to mention the winds were howling up that canyon. So we took a chance on nearby Pleasent Canyon and it was a hit. We camped near a waterfall and were completely protected from the insane winds. I suspect we had a donkey visit as something bumped into my truck three times and woke me up in the middle of the night... Or was it the Panamint bear????

Saturday:

-Ballarat Ghost town
    Pretty interesting place with alot of mine artifacts and a few origanel buildings. The town store is a strange museum of sorts with a very friendly care taker. From the few shelves, it looks like it ceased being a real store sometime in the mid 80's. I added a bottle to his collection in there to mark our visit.

-Goyer canyon/Mengle pass
    The canyon is beautiful with a reminders of the mining history sprinkled here and there until you reach the Coors mine. The underground working were a disappointment but the ruins and equipment left in place make up for it. After we hit up the Manson ranch. Its still a little creepy to be there but with the main cabin in ruin it didnt give a uneasy feeling. Mengle pass has been washed out quite a bit. I was happy to be on 35's and double locked before we made a quick trip to see the Russel camp and take in the stripped butte (much more impressive in person then I guessed)

Pictures dont do the colors in this justice.

This guy was laughing at the overbuilt jeeps taking horrible lines.

Sunday:
    -Spur of the moment
    Woke up at the Spur of the Moment mine. This mine is not often visited and has a great tram system still in place. The underground workings are not extensive, but the hike and views along the way were breathtaking.

long unedited helmet cam test footage.
    camera test
    Last edited by troyboy162; 09-19-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Re: Death Valley Panamint Tour 20121110-11 Report

cool!! the thought that you need 35's to be comfortable to pass Mengle really makes me want to go back. has it changed that much over the years?

can't wait for the pix!
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Its just the last rain that messed it up. It has a small rock garden now. There are hard trails in PV that the PVD guys run. Bring your trailer
    -23 Skidoo
    As expected the mines in this areas are completely closed, the town has no visible remains. The crown glory however is still a massive sight to see in a age where most mine relics have been stolen for decoration or scrap value. The 15 Stamp mill is on a scale that I do not think is found anywhere else. The odd number stamp units are giant and must have been really state of the art in their day.

Last edited by troyboy162; 09-19-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Navigator

how did Sean's truck with only rear locker and 33's handle that section? Was the double locked and 35s just a comfort thing or a necessity?

Edit: Nevermind, I just read the other post highlighting Sean's engine issues. Sucks. What about JD's truck? did he drive through there or did he hitch a ride?
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Just comfort really and ease timewise since we could cruise right through it and not risk breaks. Its a small tough section. I really wouldn't want a smaller truck on it so far away from home.

awesome pictures! hope JD and Mike got some more!

sad i missed it! I just didn't want to use a tow strap all weekend.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Kevin, that was the only piece that I didn't do. And I did get a few other shots. I'll upload them when I get a chance - hopefully during lunch tomorrow.
    Overall, it was a really fun trip. The highlight was probably the hike up the mountain Sunday morning to the mine. Great time, and it was actually good to get out of the truck for a bit to stretch our legs.

It was a great trip and we had a terrific time. There are tons of stuff to see in Panamint Valley and we barely scratched the surface.

We'll have lots and lots of pictures to share in the coming weeks on our web page and Facebook page.

Mike
    Underground Explorers
    Abandoned Mine Exploration
    www.undergroundexplorers.com
    www.facebook.com/undergroundexplorers

I am really interested in the old base/prison! I'd like to spend a couple of weeks exploring around out there!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

yeah that base looks cool! how far was it from the road?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast