Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake Caliper Woes

Brake Caliper Woes

I dont get it, no matter what I do it seems that my front calipers generally last between 3-6 months. I had originally chalked it up to being the rear was bad and leaking fluid onto the shoes causing the front to work harder. I also make damn sure my rear shoes are adjusted perfect like every 3k or less.

The following usually happens :
    1. Truck tends to pull whatever way opposite what the bad caliper is (obviously telling me somethings wrong).
    2. Truck doesnt pull but brakes feel funny. Usually 1 or more of the pistons isnt retracting right after I inspect it.
    3. The entire caliper locks up BADLY and I have to replace it asap or otherwise there go my rotors and pads

Im not quite sure why this keeps happening to me. A friend mentioned that perhaps the master is somewhat bad and not releasing all the way or I have air in the system. I very much doubt either of these symptoms but IDK for sure.

Also I have used every caliper brand imaginable. Been to autozone, pepboys, possibly napa (not sure anymore), AC Delco, Cardone, etc. Seems none of them seem to work fine or last longer than others. Lately I been taking advantage of the pepboys warranty so thats what i been running. 1 side is 6 months old and fine and one is 2 months old and bad already. Im obviously pulling to the left now (right side is the 2 mo old side). Brake lines are new, maybe 2 years old and not collapsed afaik too. Steel lines look fine, master seems fine..

I dont get it. im on rock auto right now trying to figure out whose brand I should try and Im replacing both of them at once. Raybestos is 70/side before core, or maybe cardone at 85/side before core, wagner is 90/side before core. Im thinking raybestos as the core is only 10 bucks and ill just eat 20 bucks. Or maybe I should try the local napa? I havent had good luck with the calipers from autozone or pepboys it seems.

I also think maybe I should replace the wheel cylinders for the heck of it and put on the new drums I already have. I also might add the LSPV is working fine too!

IDK anymore..this sucks. All i can say is the alignment shop noticed I had the issue Iplayed dumb. Guy explained to me that he sees it happen alot on the older toyotas with no real rhyme or reason..if that says anything.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Re: Brake Caliper Woes

before you replace the master cylinder, adjust the pushrod - if the master cylinder pistons aren't coming back all the way it will hold residual pressure in the system. Brake pedal should have a slight amount of play (not related to the MC push rod), but also make sure you're brake light switch isn't holding the pedal down. There are 2 adjustments - one for the pedal->booster and one for the booter-> master cylinder.

The pushrod adjustment trick I learned was to put a dab of grease on the end of the shaft and then put the master cylinder in place. Remove the master cyl and look at how much grease is left on the end of the shaft. If there is zero clearance when assembled, the grease gets completely squeezed off the end of the shaft.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Ill have to take a look at that Keith and Ill report back when i can.

Im thinking my main issue is cheap pepboys calipers. Also when I replaced the rear I found that the shoes/hardware all looked BRAND new so I left it. I might replace the rear wheel cylinders also b/c right now the shoes are adjusted quite tight-moreso than my old rear was and the pedal isnt nearly as firm as it could be imho. Which also leads me to believe there could be air in the system still even tho I bled it all out.

I think first step is doing new calipers and wheel cylinders (already have for when I did the rear) and then check the master cyl pushrod a bit.

Would be getting a Toyota caliper be out of the question? Seems like you could have paid for one already with what you've spent in parts house calipers and your time.

300/side last I checked. Also dealer said only 3 mo warranty.

So Im going to buy new ones sometime in the next week or so. Still torn on whose brand to buy, raybestos usually has good parts-or maybe cardone. TBH I think cardone remans everything and just slaps whatever label they are shipping it to on.

The Napa Eclipse brand has impressed me recently. I bought one for the 4runner 2 years ago and one for the is300 last year. They come powder coated black and appear to be a nice clean reman.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Wowza they are $$$ if you dont turn in a core.

I think Ill try napa. Ive tried autozone, pepeboys, whomever makes AC/Delco (got thru my shop) and who knows whose else remans-but I know for sure I never did napa.

Reman semi loaded is only $52 after core which isnt bad. What do I gotta lose really, I cant keep playing with these stupid pepboys calipers..does me no good to replace it only to fail asap.

ETA: I wonder if its the pads? Maybe the dust they create doesnt mix well with the calipers? Ive been using hawk LTS pads cause I liked them alot, stopped well for me. Maybe I should change to a different brand? Recommendations?

$300/side for Toyota OEM sounds like new ones. Have your Toyota dealer add -84 to the end of the part number and get a quote on remanned ones. I suspect they are 1/3 the cost.

http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com...ence_Guide.pdf

BTW, Toyota OEM remanned has 12 month warranty on parts. Don't let the dealer tell you otherwise.

Straight from Toyota (scroll down about 1/3 of the page):
    http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/brakeCalipers.do

95.5 Tacoma 3.4L Auto

Just checked and saw they are 102/side for remans.

12mo warranty vs lifetime isnt worth it imho however. IDk Ill call the parts desk again and see what they say. At least I can get a discount b/c I work for a shop.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast