Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brake Caliper Woes

Re: Brake Caliper Woes

Going to napa after the holiday to get the calipers. Just ordered the front brake lines from rock auto and will be replacing the wheel cylinders and anything else thats suspect including bleeding the entire system.

Im SOOO sick of this, it makes no sense at all to me why one locks up then the other, replace them piece meal and they lock up again and again.. Only thing i can think of is the lines are bad maybe b/c at first it seems ok but as everything heats up its gets worse. So fluid contamination (IDK how possible when its all new like 6 months ago!) or maybe collapsing lines. This is soo frustrating.

I checked the master corax, seems fine but I will double check it again. Its not the other adjustment at the pedal however I think.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Keith:

I replaced it all the other day. I think I need to adjust the booster push rod b/c the pedal is still kinda low. Im not sure why but ever since I swapped the rear its been low, before it was great despite alot of caliper replacements.

When you say to adjust the pushrod using a dab of grease, do I want zero clearance or should there be clearance between the pushrod?

Thanks.

I usually shoot for just a little tiny bit of clearance between the booster pushrod and the master cylinder piston, but zero clearance is OK as long as the pushrod isn't pushing on anything, even a little, when at rest - which is why I shoot for just a hair of clearance. You can also use the end of a sliding vernier caliper as a depth gauge if you'd rather be exact about it
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Thanks, thats what I needed to know. I cant figure out any other reason my pedal is low. No air in system as far as I can tell, rears are adjusted right-so its gotta be some sort of adjustment.

Keith, thanks for all your help!

I adjusted it today. What a pain since I had to remove the washer bottle and the purge canister. But I managed to get it adjusted and it felt better, I think I can adjust it even more, but thats a job for tomorrow.

I did want to know: The only way I could adjust the rod was to grab the rod sticking out of the booster and hold it with some needle nose vise grips. Then I could turn the little brass like nut. Or am I missing something here?

I can't really picture it in my mind, but that sounds about right. Glad it helped a bit. Just don't booger up the round end that pushes against the aluminum MC piston.

Nah i didnt booger that part up. Funny how they show theres some kinda special tool (I have the yota fsm)but god only knows if you can even find such a thing lol.

I wanna say I turned it about 1/8 out, Im gonna try for a bit more. Kinda tough to judge with the grease trick when its cold as hell outside and your doing this in your driveway..

So just an update:
    Brakes work great now. I adjusted the nut on the booster quite a bit and used the grease method you mentioned Keith. I did it just enough theres a light coating of grease on the master cyl and I believe most of it is from a bit sticking off the nub of the adjuster.

now I gotta re-adjust the rears. I think Im going to have to move the LSPV down a bit as the rears are activating a bit earlier and thus the rear stops but the fronts gotta catchup kinda leading to a slight nosedive when I brake hard.

Still much better than it was. No idea how the booster coulda gone outta adjustment like that. I musta turned that nut a good 1/8 or better too.

ARGH!!!

Brakes went down again despite adjusting the booster push rod. I think the masters bad, pump it and hold truck on or off the pedal sinks...

There are no leaks and I bled the system like 5x now just to be sure I got the air out. Only other idea is theres air in the master. Guess Ill try bench bleeding it first

Booster is working fine.

Im sick of this stupid truck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast