Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brake Caliper Woes

Re: Brake Caliper Woes

Fixed it

Bled some air out of the master and more air outta the brakes. Then I took the master off and adjusted the crap outta the pushrod. I dont care if its touching now or whatever the pedal is very nice.

IDK how on earth the pushrod coulda become unadjusted since all I did was change the rear but I dont care anymore.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

DAMN IT TO HELL!!! I wish i never bought this freaking truck!

I friggin replaced everything possible on this truck and it still freaking pulls. Pulls when braking, pulls when driving, pulls all the time. The pull isnt bad when braking but if you let your hands off the wheel it cocks to the left and you go slightly in that direction, I wonder if its the tire following the crown? But on the hwy if Im in the fast lane it pulls badly, so much so I need to cock the wheel to the right about 1/4-1/3 or so of a turn and it fights me. It even fights me slightly in the slow lane slightly. On regular roads it fights me a teeny bit.

The calipers, hoses, rotors, pads, wheel cylinders, drums, adjusters, and springs are all new from 3 weeks ago. I bled it all, no air either. I had it aligned at a reputable shop that does frontend work only and they gave me the printout, all in spec. Fearing they were bs'ing I even took it to my buddy and we threw it on an alignment rack and its all in spec, zilch no problems there.

I swapped the tires left to right (front and rear), still pulls Tomorrow Im gonna freaking play musical tires after I clean the slide pins. Maybe its the grease on the slide pins im using? Using ceramic brake pin lube ffs tho.

IDK WTF to do anymore???? Maybe my stupid 32" dueler revos are crap, frontend guy says he sees a huge problem with toyotas and this issue and its usually brake related. How can 3 week old components already be bad? maybe the trucks cursed IDK. Sooner or later Im just gonna leave it be, save up some cash and buy a damn ford if this keeps up

I giveup.. Still pulls, still cocks the wheel to the left turning. Played musical tires, lubed the slide pins in caliper, checked calipers no pistons frozen. IDK I guess I could have bad brand new brake lines..

I can see no one has any ideas by lack of response as well. Its ok, this things doomed.

are you really sure it's a bad brake component and not a bad suspension component?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Whats left up front sean? shocks, torsion bars? a-arms seem fine, no play there.

I mean its not like its yanking the wheel outta my hands when i hit the brakes like a locked caliper would do.

I dont even think its the tires. I had them on the truck before and it didnt pull.

Like I said, my only real conclusion is one of the new brake lines is bad or something is worn out/busted and no one can figure it out.

IDK anymore man. Im going to take it back to the alignment place I went to last time and see what they tell me. Im outta ideas.

Ok im outof real ideas besides the lines despite being new, might be bad. I figured I bought raybestos..its a hydraulic line..how can it be bad even if they are only 10/ea?

Anyway lets do a run down of when this problem first reared its ugly head;
    1. Had both 31's and the current 32's on at one point or another, no issues.
    2. When i first got the truck we dealt with this problem at the mechanic, he replaced the lines and problem went away.
    3. Calipers have always locked up on me, I generally replace them every 3 mo
    4. Frame is not bent afaik, torsion bars arent bad, control arm bushings are good, shocks are newer, steering is newer.
    5. Alignment shop said steering box was bad, bought a rebuilt unit. Has less play than stocker but still play. HOWEVER were talking very minimal.
    6. F/R brake systems are all new
    7. Its not radial pull, I played musical tires and its the same
    8. Wheel bearings redone about 10k ago maybe less, rechecked when i put new rotors on and I torqued them per FSM. No play..
    9. brakes are adjusted right for sure
    10. Springs are redone in back, new bushings 2k ago. Axle is a used one and not bent AFAIK as pulling existed before axle swap

Most important aspect of this whole ordeal: If everything is new than why does it pull when braking? Conclusion...bad line... not releasing caliper. But no real drag

I did note yesterday (IDK about this one) that while redoing the caliper slide pins if I pushed one of the pistons in the other would pop out slightly. I was just doing this with a screwdriver to make sure they were all free..

IDK anymore I just dunno. About all I can think of is to replace the lines for GP and take it to a good shop and tell them the situation.

Welp the shop I took it to figured it out.

Control arm bushings are bad (I had kinda thought and dismissed this at one point myself). You can clearly see where its rubbing the mech said after he cleaned all the dirt off. YOu hit the brakes and the arm actually moved around in there or under load it moved.

Bad news is the parts are cheap, but the labor is insane. I do not have the time to yank it apart myself and my buddy who has a shop let go all of the good mechanics. The shop I took it to told me they would throw in an alignment as well. They will also be checking the frame for square, any other suspension components and whatnot to be sure. The guy wants it to be perfect. Good help dont come cheap it would seem.

The job is literally 800 bucks I was planning on spending on other things but it has to be done. If I had another vehicle Id attempt it myself but this needs to be fixed asap. To think, 2 other shops looked at it and didnt notice any issues at all, this guy after only an hour or so of looking at it had a diagnosis and solution for me.

glad you got a diagnosis other than "brake parts". Sucks you had to throw money at it, but sometimes thats the only way.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Yea just the way the cookie crumbles. Personally speaking I had a sinking feeling it was the bushings, but the reality of just how difficult the job is with no press and no other car incase something goes belly up kept saying inmy head "nah cant be that..cant be!"

All I have to say is this shop is very good, but dang $$. Whenits done it better be dang near perfect as not a single thing on this truck besides the engine and trans hasnt been RnR by now.

So 1200 later...the new bushings make the truck drive 100x better. Infact the truck never drove this good since ive owned it. All that vibration I had been getting for years-the bushings cured about 95% of it! Hit the gas and no more movement of the frontend.. The truck however STILL wandered and pulled left. I kept thinking about it on my way back, why does it do this-there is NOTHING old now besides TRE..this makes no sense. beside the frame, engine and trans most of everything i took care of like the picky person I am.

Then it dawns on me, it doesnt always pull left-sometimes its straight but then wanders. Maybe its the tires. Nope swapped the one they claimed radial pull side to side on back..no change.

Then the AHA! moment happened as I drove around the block and up a small hill during my test drive. WHY IS IT HARDER TO TURN RIGHT THAN LEFT????? then i think back..its been like this for some time but I always chalked it up to a problem in the frontend..

Back I go and they send me out with mechanic. He claims roadcrown again. Im like buddy no Im sorry but that aint it. Shop manager drives and notices same thing I do. Checks it out on alignment rack again, even sits me inside to align it. No real change after another test drive. Mechanic says maybe the power steering box after we talk for awhile. I agree the STUPID POWER STEERING BOX I REPLACED MAYBE 2 YEARS AGO HAS TO BE BAD, THERE IS NOTHING ELSE!!!!! So new box by tomorrow afternoon and I pray its good to go.

Now Im broke..yay! but the truck will drive well. too bad I wont be able to go anywhere cause I cant buy gas! /bang head on desk over and over...

Otherwise Im going to set it on fire unless some wants it..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast