Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: front strut removal help

front strut removal help

im getting new shocks and would like to cut down the install price by bringing the shop the hole strut the back seems pretty simple now for the front i was looking at it theres 1 bolt for the shock its self in the middle and 3 around it on top and the bottom looks pretty easy just one bolt now which bolts do i remove i dont wanna take the wrong ones out and have the spring come flying out which would not be cool
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

Re: front strut removal help

take the 3 off at the top around that much bigger center nut. DO NOT REMOVE THE CENTER NUT holding the shock in place. remove the bottom bolt.

ive found it easier to remove the bottom nut(19mm) then to remove the bolt, push down on the hub/rotor and then you should be able to pull the bolt out. then remove the top 3 nuts(14mm) the center nut on the shock should be 17mm, do not remove this.

then it will drop out, be careful its heavy and in an awakard spot.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

^^^^^ Ditto.

Never remove the bolt on the top of the strut stud until you have compressed the springs.
    Failing to do so can throw parts with enough force to do serious damage to you.

This is a pretty good writeup on how to change the fronts and what bolts to remove:
    http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/projects/blackbean/ome/
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

http://www.4rnr.net/suspension.html

just for a bit more information on the whole thing.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

thanks alot pics really helped
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

When I did mine, I sprayed the top three nuts and the bottom bolt in PB and soaked it overnight. I don't know if it made any difference or not, but they came off with relative ease.

BTW, I personally thought that taking off the springs were pretty easy. I just rented a spring compressor from Autozone and did it myself. I laid the assembly down on its side, made sure it was pointing in a safe direction, had a friend cover the assembly with a slab of carpet, then proceeded to undo the top nut. All went well with no issues, and it was pretty safe, I thought.
    Land Cruiser

How the hell did you get the spring compressed and back on then??
    99 4Runner SR5 - Desert Dune<br />Bri-Mar 5x8 trailer, Toyo OC AT 265.75.16, PP Springs and Bilsteins, AirRaid MIT and Deckplate, Aftermarket HU w/ Sirius built-in

Quote Originally Posted by gpcollen
    How the hell did you get the spring compressed and back on then??
    how do you mean?

i think you are thinking of something different, the whole strut assembly, consisting of the shock, top plate and a spring sandwiched in between comes out as one unit. you compress the spring with spring compressors, releasing the pressure on the shock's top nut. then you can remove the top nut, which allows the whole assembly to come apart with the spring still in high compression. if swapping shocks, then you remove the old shock, put the new one in just like the old one came out, slowly back of the spring compressors until theres enough pressure on the top plate to make sure the face of the hole for the bottom bolt is parallel with the plane of two of the studs on the top plate. then back off the spring compressors completely, and you are done! no need to have the compressors in the wheel well of the truck!

man i cant wait tell that shocks get here just have to track down some tools

[/quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    When I did mine, I sprayed the top three nuts and the bottom bolt in PB and soaked it overnight. I don't know if it made any difference or not, but they came off with relative ease.

BTW, I personally thought that taking off the springs were pretty easy. I just rented a spring compressor from Autozone and did it myself. I laid the assembly down on its side, made sure it was pointing in a safe direction, had a friend cover the assembly with a slab of carpet, then proceeded to undo the top nut. All went well with no issues, and it was pretty safe, I thought.
    My first read - toward the end it sounded like he was covering with carpet and not compressing the spring - Just letting it fly. Reread indicates a spring compressor. Just not sure why all the hocus pocus if you have a decent compressor. Success nonetheless.
    99 4Runner SR5 - Desert Dune<br />Bri-Mar 5x8 trailer, Toyo OC AT 265.75.16, PP Springs and Bilsteins, AirRaid MIT and Deckplate, Aftermarket HU w/ Sirius built-in

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast