Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: front strut removal help

Re: front strut removal help

Quote Originally Posted by gpcollen
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    When I did mine, I sprayed the top three nuts and the bottom bolt in PB and soaked it overnight. I don't know if it made any difference or not, but they came off with relative ease.

BTW, I personally thought that taking off the springs were pretty easy. I just rented a spring compressor from Autozone and did it myself. I laid the assembly down on its side, made sure it was pointing in a safe direction, had a friend cover the assembly with a slab of carpet, then proceeded to undo the top nut. All went well with no issues, and it was pretty safe, I thought.
    My first read - toward the end it sounded like he was covering with carpet and not compressing the spring - Just letting it fly. Reread indicates a spring compressor. Just not sure why all the hocus pocus if you have a decent compressor. Success nonetheless.
    [/quote]

i dont know what type of compressor the one if you rent from autozone but unless tis a heavy-duty wall-mount type like the shops have, if you search around, there are plenty of horror stories of those dinky compressors breaking and sending a spring flying and hurting people, thats the reason for the carpet, to absorb some of the impact if the thing break off. you can never be too safe.
    -David<br /><br />2000 Taco TRD Access Cab<br />v6 | 5spd | 33&quot; BFG A/Ts on 15x10 alloy | 33&quot; PC Mud Terrains on 15x8 black steel | 3&quot; Susp. Lift | OME 882&#039;s | Bilstein HD struts front | Rancho shocks rear | Chevy leaf spring swap | Custom sliders | Custom front bumper |3&quot; BL | U-Bolt flip | Flowmaster exhaust | Uniden CB | Firestik II | Dual Hella Black Magic&#039;s | Maglite Mod | Kenwood Speakers | Grey Wire Mod | Aux. Reverse Lights | Deckplate Mod<br /><br />Pictures

Thanks, drguitarum2005. The compressors from Autozone were pretty stout, but I still did not trust them. I had my friend place the piece of carpet over the spring and put his foot on top of it in case it blew apart. Everything went smooth, but like you said, you can never be too safe.
    Land Cruiser

got the shock today big thanks to steve at sonoran steel the nuts on the shocks fit great so no worry's there just have to see if the weather holds out and gotta ask my freind for some jack stands and a sawzall and im takeing the struts to the local import shop here as they have a wall mounted spring compressor
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

The Nuts are Genuine Toyota Parts as promised.

1999 4Runner/Dana44 Front Axle - 1990 4WD Mini Pickup, 2006 Tundra &amp; 1948/1981 CJ2A Rock Buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elton
    .....I'm takeing the struts to the local import shop here as they have a wall mounted spring compressor
    Smart man!
    If you don't feel comfortable, have a shop do it....it's not much money at all if you bring them the parts.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

got the tools i needed also borrowed a electric impact wrench i doubt it will help but it will make taking the wheels of easier think ill start with the front first then move to the rear lol this will be my first time using a sawzall soo im a little nervous
    My Truck 98 4runner 4x4 SR5 3.4L 5spd E-Locker <br />Mom 07 Tundra d-cab limited 5.7L 4x4 auto fully loaded<br />mom&#39;s 92 pickup SR5 3.0L 5spd 4x4 <br />Papa 89 Pickup SR5 X-cab 4x4 3.0L 5spd/98 4runner 3.4L auto 4x4 <br />R.I.P 91 4runner SR5 4x4 3.0L 5spd Totaled 5/13/06

Quote Originally Posted by Elton
    got the tools i needed also borrowed a electric impact wrench i doubt it will help but it will make taking the wheels of easier think ill start with the front first then move to the rear lol this will be my first time using a sawzall soo im a little nervous
    What's the sawzall for?

Troy
    1995 4Runner, 5spd, 22R-E, stock, 125,000 miles

removing rear shocks i hope... lol. the top nuts on mine came off just fine, but if they are the least bit rusty, they are nearly impossible!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    removing rear shocks i hope... lol. the top nuts on mine came off just fine, but if they are the least bit rusty, they are nearly impossible!
    Yah, I wouldn't want to cut off the top nut on the front strut without having the spring compressor in place.
    1995 4Runner, 5spd, 22R-E, stock, 125,000 miles

yes the sawzal is a backup just it case the top nuts on the rear shocks dont wanna come off

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast