Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much tools do you guys carry?

Re: How much tools do you guys carry?

These might work:

30 piece metric socket set with deep sockets for $25 (I think there's a 17mm, but not sure)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338527-22328...uct_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C 1&facetInfo=

8 piece wrench set:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_359491-25428...uct_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C 1&facetInfo=

5 piece pliers set:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_253677-16878...uct_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating%7C 1&facetInfo=

Add to that a set of extensions and the few other odds and ends I mentioned, and you can do a lot.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Engine wise, you can do a lot with just 3/8 drive 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets, 12 and 14mm wrenches, some extensions, pliers, a screw driver set, a torque wrench, and one of those magnet thingies. I'd say 90% of the work I've ever done on my 4runners was just with those tools, although I've not done any suspension work.

I've never needed or used any ratcheting wrenches, although a 14mm ratcheting wrench would have come in really handy when doing my timing belt.

My suggestion for tools to keep in your car:

-full set of metric tools (3/8 drive with a 3/8-1/4 adapter is probably good enough)
    -10, 12, and 14mm deep sockets
    -set of socket extensions, along with the flex joint thingy
    -metric wrenches
    -screw driver set
    -pliers
    -magnet thingy for picking up lost nuts/bolts
    -utility knife
    -wire strippers
    -breaker bar or a cheater pipe

Other stuff I would carry:

-electrical tape
    -spare fuses
    -hose clamps

Just my $.02.
    Thanks for the input! I'm going through your suggestions & adding what I don't have to the list. When I'm all done with everyone's input, I'll have more tools my truck than I had in my entire garage! 8) LOL
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Basically I think you should carry enough tools to fix the likely items to break, come loose, etc.

I carry ratcheting wrenches because they can turn a miserable 15 degree wrench space into a less tedious and time consuming experience.

also, as your truck gets older, the number of tools and spare parts necessary increases greatly.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Last year I replaced my transmission using only the contents of my tool kit & 2 ratchet straps to lower it. My entire tool kit fits into a small bag and only weighs a few pounds, the pic below is pretty much the exact bag I use. 1 is for tools, the other is for things like spare nuts/bolts, rescue tape, duct tape, wire ties, ect.

In it I have the basics that I would need to fix most anything well enough to get home or back to civilization: Sears 3/8" drive metric deep & shallow sockets w/ 3"/6"/9" extensions, a short and a longer flex head ratchet, HF open/closed end metric wrench set, #2 stubby & regular length phillips + plain screwdriver, test light, pliers, needle nose, channel lock, wire cutter, vise grip pliers
    This is the same tool kit I take with whenever I go Junkyarding, and I haven't yet found a part that I couldn't get off.

Improvisation in the field with what you have is half the fun. Besides, without a level of uncertainty it's not really an adventure. One of my favorite quotes from Radiobaobab in the "Democratic Republic of Congo: Lubumbashi to Kinshasa" trip report, "In short: we used everything we took and didn't miss anything we didn't take. Which does not mean we really 'needed' everything we took."

Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Basic 3/8 metric set. I wouldnt spring for lowes, sears or such. Go to wallyworld and buy some stanley stuff or home depot and buy husky (same exact stuff). Ive carried the same stanley stuff for eons in my work box and besides wearing out ratchets (I use them alot) I never broke anything.

You can get alot done with 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 17. 19, 21 mm sizes. I prefer 1/4" sockets w/3/8 adapter as they can fit in some smaller spaces but also carry 3/8 as well. Biggest thing to have is deep and shallow sockets b/c you just never know. I would also toss in medium and larger vise grips, channel locks, needle nose and such pliers as well as a good set of screwdrivers (I like the kind that flip around and have 4 bits in them), as well as (didnt see it mentioned earlier) an assortment of fuses, connectors and a crimper with some wire just incase. I also carry a large flathead and a small 12" pry bar as well as a set of small picks and 2 large ones. Everything has come in handy at least once if not more. Id say my workbox weighs 20lbs. I have broken flambeau boxes already (plastic) so I swapped to an older craftsman metal box.

So far my roadbox has been used to do everything imaginable. I also carry a sears truck box like this: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-22inc...&blockType=G23 I keep my 1/2 sockets in there along with a breaker bar. I also like to carry a piece of gas pipe I got from home depot to aid as a cheater bar. 18" and 12". VERY handy. Course I also have a cordless snap on impact gun and 12v charger so alot of roadaside repairs are ez lol.

But generally those tools have worked for me time and time again.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

This reminds me.. I do have a Lowe's gift card and need some jack stands. ;0

On topic... I don't carry tools in my truck. I probably should if I'm going on a trip somewhere other than work, but I'm usually within close distance of family, friends, or a tow truck.

I have this exact kit in my truck:
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-260-p...3&blockType=G3

I will be changing it out once I get a rear storage unit built, but pretty much even with that kit when I go on a trip I bring extra tools, enough to pull the diffs, axles, and heck do a timing belt if I really had to...

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun

I will be changing it out once I get a rear storage unit built, but pretty much even with that kit when I go on a trip I bring extra tools, enough to pull the diffs, axles, and heck do a timing belt if I really had to...
    That's more than I have in the garage.

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun

That's very close to my main tool kit.. Mine had red drawers though and is like 5 or 6 years old so I'm not sure how many pieces it came with. It is actually in my truck currently too.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Kevin so did mine, but I guess they changed the color.
    The plastic holding tabs eventually broke so I got a craftsmen metal tool box to hold them all

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12