Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much tools do you guys carry?

How much tools do you guys carry?

I'm looking at keeping a small tool kit with me in the truck. I'm looking at the following:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_338514-25428...uct_avg_rating|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_avg_rating|1& facetInfo=[/url]

or

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...1#.UK26H4WGEcs

I got the Kobalt 93 piece set from Lowe's. I like the case and the entire set is smaller taking up less space. They have the Husky 135 piece set on sale for $50. Wondering if I should get the larger set for an extra $10 or keep the smaller set I got.

How big of a tool set do you guys carry?

This question excludes Sean who even carries spare truck parts!
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Re: How much tools do you guys carry?

i carry a full set of standard and metric 3/8 drive sockets, a full set of metric 1/2" drive sockets, a full set of metric wrenches, plus a full set of metric and standard ratcheting wrenches. not to mention another box full of hammers, tape, screw drivers, pliers, etc etc etc.

i carry tooooo much. i dont think spare parts is a bad thing... and really i only carry a spare front axle, plus some screws, nuts, bolts, etc.

that 40 dollar set it tempting... I have always been a craftsman person, but for the price, and I would only be using them in the field... even the Husky set is nice! damn you for making me want to spend even more money!

I think if I was going to buy one of those two sets, I would get the Husky,
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'll search for a thread or two that we've had in the past about tools and storage. I used to carry a lot of tools but never really used them. I knew I carried more than i needed but I always like to be prepared.

My advice to you is to piece together a kit and find what you really need. All the fasteners on the truck will be metric so an SAE kit isn't necessary. BUT say you add a rack, bumper and nick nacks here and there. You want to make sure you've got an adjustable wrench or whatever it takes to service, remove, repair, etc those parts.

I ditched all the 1/4 drive stuff as it's not needed. Either I've got the same sizes in 3/8 drive or I can remove the small stuff with pliers or and adjustable wrench. I do carry a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter just in case but I don't think I'd ever need it. I also ditched lot of wrench sizes I don't need and replaced them with an adjustable wrench. Most fasteners will be 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm or 17mm. There are bigger ones but those are big/expensive wrenches. Buy and carry as needed but again you can find adjustables that open past 30mm. Couple that with a small breaker bar and/or some slip joint pliers and you'll be able to do some work.

Multiple screwdrivers are as useful as a few correctly sized ones or combo drivers. Stubbies are nice and then some big ones. For the in between a combo screwdriver and a Leatherman will have all your bases covered.

You can go hog wild and carry power/air tools, welders or components to weld using your vehicle or another but in the scheme of things travel with at least one other vehicle in good repair (or just go everywhere with Sean) and know your vehicle. Most of the time the stuff you need are things like a telescoping magnet, seal pick, mirco screwdriver, a random fuse, random electrical bit or component, etc. In those cases 50 pounds of tools won't do much for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i dont think spare parts is a bad thing... and really i only carry a spare front axle
    "Only"

I'm all Craftsman, too, but I figured these are tool's I wouldn't really use in the garage but just to keep in the truck. I guess I'll return the Kobalt set and pay the extra $10 for the Husky.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

when is the sale over for the Husky tools? That is super tempting for me, i'm getting kinda sick of carrying so much and having to find clever ways of packaging it in my truck.

I carry SAE as well as metric because of my front and rear bumpers, not to mention my military trailer that is completely standard sizes. Some pull double duty, like 3/4" and 19mm.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    I'll search for a thread or two that we've had in the past about tools and storage. I used to carry a lot of tools but never really used them. I knew I carried more than i needed but I always like to be prepared.

My advice to you is to piece together a kit and find what you really need. All the fasteners on the truck will be metric so an SAE kit isn't necessary. BUT say you add a rack, bumper and nick nacks here and there. You want to make sure you've got an adjustable wrench or whatever it takes to service, remove, repair, etc those parts.

I ditched all the 1/4 drive stuff as it's not needed. Either I've got the same sizes in 3/8 drive or I can remove the small stuff with pliers or and adjustable wrench. I do carry a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter just in case but I don't think I'd ever need it. I also ditched lot of wrench sizes I don't need and replaced them with an adjustable wrench. Most fasteners will be 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm or 17mm. There are bigger ones but those are big/expensive wrenches. Buy and carry as needed but again you can find adjustables that open past 30mm. Couple that with a small breaker bar and/or some slip joint pliers and you'll be able to do some work.

Multiple screwdrivers are as useful as a few correctly sized ones or combo drivers. Stubbies are nice and then some big ones. For the in between a combo screwdriver and a Leatherman will have all your bases covered.

You can go hog wild and carry power/air tools, welders or components to weld using your vehicle or another but in the scheme of things travel with at least one other vehicle in good repair (or just go everywhere with Sean) and know your vehicle. Most of the time the stuff you need are things like a telescoping magnet, seal pick, mirco screwdriver, a random fuse, random electrical bit or component, etc. In those cases 50 pounds of tools won't do much for you.
    Mike,

VERY good input. Thanks!

I've got large sets of tools at home in my roll aways but don't like to pick through them for a trip or event I'm working. As such I have second and third sets of stuff for bike events or races I do and the tool wraps. I don't keep any of it in the 4runner on a regular basis because the weight does add up and it's one more thing to walk off. They live in a milk crate in the attic and I pull it when I'm up there no doubt pulling out other stuff for a trip.

This way I know I have everything and don't have to spend extra time packing or unpacking when I get home. In a small zippered case in the glove box I keep my Leatherman, 6 inch adjustable wrench, metric hex key set (for bicycle stuff), telescoping magnet, seal pick, zip ties, fuses, etc. The entire thing is about the size of a Taco Bell bean burrito. This is in conjunction with the other stuff, not so much tools, that I have in the cargo cubbie in the rear quarter panel.

It's there and gets used and is great to get out of little jams.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    when is the sale over for the Husky tools? That is super tempting for me, i'm getting kinda sick of carrying so much and having to find clever ways of packaging it in my truck.

I carry SAE as well as metric because of my front and rear bumpers, not to mention my military trailer that is completely standard sizes. Some pull double duty, like 3/4" and 19mm.
    The Husky set didn't have a "Sale" sign next to it and thought it was the regular price. I'm just thinking it's on sale because the online price for the Husky 135 piece set is $89. I took a photo of the set and the only thing that looks different is the ratchet set. It has the same three sizes, but the model of the ratchets look different. Everything else looks the same.

The ratchets actually look like the ones in this set:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...1#.UK3HsIWGEcs

If you can hold out till after xmas those husky sets become super cheap. Or you could buy it now, return it and wait till its put back on the shelf and then buy it on sale.

I got a similar set years ago for like 35 bucks after xmas.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Engine wise, you can do a lot with just 3/8 drive 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets, 12 and 14mm wrenches, some extensions, pliers, a screw driver set, a torque wrench, and one of those magnet thingies. I'd say 90% of the work I've ever done on my 4runners was just with those tools, although I've not done any suspension work.

I've never needed or used any ratcheting wrenches, although a 14mm ratcheting wrench would have come in really handy when doing my timing belt.

My suggestion for tools to keep in your car:

-full set of metric tools (3/8 drive with a 3/8-1/4 adapter is probably good enough)
    -10, 12, and 14mm deep sockets
    -set of socket extensions, along with the flex joint thingy
    -metric wrenches
    -screw driver set
    -pliers
    -magnet thingy for picking up lost nuts/bolts
    -utility knife
    -wire strippers
    -breaker bar or a cheater pipe

Other stuff I would carry:

-electrical tape
    -spare fuses
    -hose clamps

Just my $.02.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast