Spent a big chunk trying to understand all the different kinds of traction stuff and I still don't feel like I "totally get it". Please don't try to explain it... it's just too damn confusing. Every time I feel like I understand, I read something else that throws it off. BUT.... I do have a question.

I have a 2004 V8, so it's full time 4WD. To me, that means I have power going to 2 wheels, one in front and one in back. In this setup, if I get stuck, I take it that the power goes to the wheel w/ the least resistance. I'm guessing this is the same for both the front and rear axles. I'm bringing this up because there have been a couple of times where I felt like I really could use a locked axle (front or rear), and I've been told I have open diffs., which I concur.

My question is... what the hell is the Center Diff Lock button for? Also, does the center diff lock react any different if I'm in 4Lo or 4Hi? ....because when I used the Center Lock, it sure didn't seem like it helped me get out (but then maybe it did since I didn't try it with the center diff lock off).

If it's going to take a big ole' explanation, than never mind. It already bothers me that I have to ask this question having had my truck for almost three years.